What's new

For those who are having WLAN Issues - (Possible Fix - Tested for the last 48 hours)

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen Consumer Routers and even older SMB/Enterprise Routers struggle with newer adapters or adapters that are not Intel or Broadcom based.... the Open Sourced DD-WRT Firmware struggled with the Marvell "N" version. I had the stalls and limited connectivity issue until I update my R7000 router's firmware.

mohcho

Well, on my "ancient" WRT400N router at home, it's stable at 65 Mbps. It doesn't go over that speed, but it's been stable. There are no firmware updates for this router.

WorldIRC

I've seen Consumer Routers and even older SMB/Enterprise Routers struggle with newer adapters or adapters that are not Intel or Broadcom based.... the Open Sourced DD-WRT Firmware struggled with the Marvell "N" version. I had the stalls and limited connectivity issue until I update my R7000 router's firmware.

Firmware is up to date. I should mention, I have no issues with speeds (I can do 90mbit on the internet at home w/o issue).

mcsenerd

I don't know if I'm having quite the same issues everyone else seems to be having with their WLAN stuff, but I'm having another issue. My SP2 worked perfectly fine with my company's EAP-FAST corporate wireless network, but the SP3 REFUSES to work with it at all. It just won't associate with the AP. I've tried everything I could think of to get it to work, but nothing helps. All I can do at this point is just pray that some future firmware or driver update "magically" fixes it. Very disappointing... :-(

Thanks jnjroach, I actually didnt even really realise I was having this issue until I read this thread and decided to ensure I didnt. Well I did and didnt notice because I have almost always had it plugged in, which was giving me 685 Mbps on my 5GHz AC connection. When I had it uplugged i was basically only playing video games etc and wasnt using wireless. I did the step by step you posted and it worked perfectly. Now I see 65 Mbps on my 2.4 GHz connection and 285 Mbps on my 5 GHz AC connection. Its not perfect but at least it works unplugged now. Hopefully MS comes out with a fix soon.

Bandito

I don't know if I'm having quite the same issues everyone else seems to be having with their WLAN stuff, but I'm having another issue. My SP2 worked perfectly fine with my company's EAP-FAST corporate wireless network, but the SP3 REFUSES to work with it at all. It just won't associate with the AP. I've tried everything I could think of to get it to work, but nothing helps. All I can do at this point is just pray that some future firmware or driver update "magically" fixes it. Very disappointing... :-(

mcsenerd,

Be sure to contact Microsoft Surface Support with your connection issue. They might possibly be able to fix it, but even if they don't, this gets the information about the problem directly to them so that they can work on it.

I don't recommend waiting for the "magic" to happen! :cool2:

ctitanic

Yeah I would much rather wait for an official fix. Good thing this thing reboots on like 10secs!

If you don't feel comfortable around messing around with Windows System configuration that the best job can do and don't feel bad about it. Most of us here make a living out this.

DanL

One other note, after doing this you will probably need to log back in to your wireless network with the security password.

foghat

Twice now over the past day or so, upon coming out of sleep, I have no wifi network connection and cannot see any wifi networks. Windows Network Diagnostic tells me that 'windows could not find a driver for your network adapter'. Pretty sure this only started happening after installing the drivers in the first post - but can't be 100% certain.

A reboot resolves the issue. This is really starting to border on ridiculous.

mcsenerd

Twice now over the past day or so, upon coming out of sleep, I have no wifi network connection and cannot see any wifi networks. Windows Network Diagnostic tells me that 'windows could not find a driver for your network adapter'. Pretty sure this only started happening after installing the drivers in the first post - but can't be 100% certain.

A reboot resolves the issue. This is really starting to border on ridiculous.

When that happens, I bet if you go into Device Mangler, you'll notice that the entire adapter has went **poof** and up and vanished. If you rescan for new hardware it will usually pop back in. Try it next time and see if you can avoid the reboot.

ctitanic

When that happens, I bet if you go into Device Mangler, you'll notice that the entire adapter has went **poof** and up and vanished. If you rescan for new hardware it will usually pop back in. Try it next time and see if you can avoid the reboot.

Device Mangler? You mean manager :wink: