What's new

For those who are having WLAN Issues - (Possible Fix - Tested for the last 48 hours)

mcsenerd

C'mon... It's all tongue in cheek :D But it's true that I've seen many a device "mangled" through the inappropriate use of device manager :-D

By the way... I allowed the device to go into sleep mode while I was driving back from my in-law's around 30 minutes away and once I got home when I attempted to wake the device, I too got the dreaded wireless unavailable crud. Looking in device manager for me... it still showed up, and I was forced to reboot to get it back. I really hope MS fixes these driver/firmware issues.

WirelessPoof.jpg

Last edited:

leofric

hi I am new to the forum. Registered here because of the bugs I have... infact this is one of the 2 annoyances I have with the device. Apart fromthis, I love it!

Can someone please confirm to me that this is working for them? I live in the UK and have no way of getting a broken device back to warranty back in the US :) yey for me.

I have 2.4Ghz connecting at about 40Mbit and 5Ghz just wont behave at all. I am using a BT homehub 5 which is a dual band AC router. The 5Ghz connects at about 6Mbit but really it isn't connected even though I get issued an IP.

ctitanic

hi I am new to the forum. Registered here because of the bugs I have... infact this is one of the 2 annoyances I have with the device. Apart fromthis, I love it!

Can someone please confirm to me that this is working for them? I live in the UK and have no way of getting a broken device back to warranty back in the US :) yey for me.

I have 2.4Ghz connecting at about 40Mbit and 5Ghz just wont behave at all. I am using a BT homehub 5 which is a dual band AC router. The 5Ghz connects at about 6Mbit but really it isn't connected even though I get issued an IP.

The experience is different from user to user depending on the AP that they own. One thing is for sure, it's a software issue and it will be fixed. So you can take it home with confidence if this is the only issue that you have.

Last edited:

leofric

The experience is different from user to user depending on the AP that they own. One thing is for sure, it's a software issue and it will be fixed. So you can take it home with confidence it this is the only issue that you have.

Hi Frank. Thanks for the reply. I'll wait for a software update then. Can't wait to see over 200mbit over the WiFi... im having to use the external HDD alot at the moment to pull big files over from the NAS.

ctitanic

Hi Frank. Thanks for the reply. I'll wait for a software update then. Can't wait to see over 200mbit over the WiFi... im having to use the external HDD alot at the moment to pull big files over from the NAS.

I'm in the same boat even when I don't have a AC router. The 5G performance is far from stable.

rbpyle

So, after many attempts to get a handle o how my brand new SP3 works with the Wifi driver, I have boiled my experiences with the driver down to this regarding the Wifi issues that are plaguing it right now. I can boil down the symptoms as follows:

1. Driver dated 4/24/14: Version 15.68.3036.67 for the Marvell AVASTAR Wireless chip
a. Relatively stable driver, 72bps connections to 2.4Ghz wireless while on line AC power.
b. if the SP3 goes to sleep, the Bluetooth and wireless devices will be gone when you ask the SP3 to wake up.
c. The sleep does not have to be deep
d. This symptom appears about 70% of the time on sleeping
e. If you ask for a driver update (From Devices -> Driver -> update driver) this is shown to be the best available driver
2. If however, you as Windows update to update the system you will get a driver dated 5/5/14: Version 15.68.3040.75 for the Marvell AVASTAR Wireless chip. This driver will exhibit the following behavior:
a. It seems to have fixed the devices being visible on wake up. In that respect it is more reliable
b. The Wifi connectivity, even though the device is there, is very unreliable.
i. When the device is on battery, the wakeup from sleep will result in a widely varying set of behaviors, very slow wifi speeds, making it virtually useless
1. Cycling the wifi on and off will sometimes and randomly restore connectivity somewhat.
2. 2.4 vs. 5 Ghz does not seem to matter much
3. Rebooting, and deep power cycling (volume up and power shutdown) sometimes helps
ii. When the device is on line AC and you power up and stay on line, it is a very stable environment.

Microsoft support will give you a sequence of:
1. Reboot
2. Uninstall the device (save the driver) and let it reinstall
3. Reboot
4. Uninstall the device (save the driver) and let it reinstall
5. Deep power reboot
6. Uninstall the device (save the driver) and let it reinstall
7. Reboot
8. Well it must be a driver problem, we don’t know what to do.

Not terribly helpful

ctitanic

So, after many attempts to get a handle o how my brand new SP3 works with the Wifi driver, I have boiled my experiences with the driver down to this regarding the Wifi issues that are plaguing it right now. I can boil down the symptoms as follows:

1. Driver dated 4/24/14: Version 15.68.3036.67 for the Marvell AVASTAR Wireless chip
a. Relatively stable driver, 72bps connections to 2.4Ghz wireless while on line AC power.
b. if the SP3 goes to sleep, the Bluetooth and wireless devices will be gone when you ask the SP3 to wake up.
e. If you ask for a driver update (From Devices -> Driver -> update driver) this is shown to be the best available driver
2. If however, you as Windows update to update the system you will get a driver dated 5/5/14: Version 15.68.3040.75 for the Marvell AVASTAR Wireless chip. This driver will exhibit the following behavior:
a. It seems to have fixed the devices being visible on wake up. In that respect it is more reliable
i. When the device is on battery, the wakeup from sleep will result in a widely varying set of behaviors, very slow wifi speeds, making it virtually useless
1. Cycling the wifi on and off will sometimes and randomly restore connectivity somewhat.
2. 2.4 vs. 5 Ghz does not seem to matter much
3. Rebooting, and deep power cycling (volume up and power shutdown) sometimes helps
ii. When the device is on line AC and you power up and stay on line, it is a very stable environment.

Microsoft support will give you a sequence of:
1. Reboot
2. Uninstall the device (save the driver) and let it reinstall
3. Reboot
4. Uninstall the device (save the driver) and let it reinstall
5. Deep power reboot
6. Uninstall the device (save the driver) and let it reinstall
7. Reboot
8. Well it must be a driver problem, we don’t know what to do.

Not terribly helpful

I hate to say it because I'm a Support Engineer, but this a typical Support behavior when a new never seen bug has been found in a new device that they have not even seen for the first time. Give them sometime please. They are trying hard to help.

leofric

I'd like an official known bugs list from MS and eta's on solutions. It would be a very nice gesture from them to keep us early adopters in the loop. Is there such a thing?

ctitanic

I'd like an official known bugs list from MS and eta's on solutions. It would be a very nice gesture from them to keep us early adopters in the loop. Is there such a thing?

The closest thing is the answers.microsoft.com community. Everything that's reported there reach Microsoft.

In another hand, I have seen around two Surface MVP visiting this forum. :wink: You can be sure that everything that has been discussed here that merits MS attention has reached Microsoft. :cool2:

rbpyle

I am afraid this approach did not resolve my wireless issues. Still the same behavior whether installed manually or not, using either driver. The issues are different between driver versions.
15.68.3036.67:
a, Relatively stable driver, 72bps connections to 2.4Ghz wireless while on line AC power.

When the device is on battery, the wakeup from sleep will result in a widely varying set of behaviors, very slow wifi speeds, making it virtually useless
c. Cycling the wifi on and off will sometimes and randomly restore connectivity somewhat.
c. 2.4 vs. 5 Ghz does not seem to matter much
e. Rebooting, and deep power cycling (volume up and power shutdown) sometimes helps
f. When the device is on line AC and you power up and stay on line, it is a very stable environment