What's new

For web browsing in portrait, nothing beats 3:2.

mitchellvii

Do you enjoy web browsing in portrait? I do. I think because it fulfills my dream of having an electronic newspaper with the whole page right there in front of me. For this, the 3:2 aspect ratio is truly the best. Also for taking written notes in portrait. Just like a legal pad. Awesome.

Compare the SP3 to the Yoga 2 Pro. Right now you can get an i7 Yoga 2 Pro with 8 gb ram and a 256 gb ssd for only $1099 direct from Lenovo. Hell of a badass machine for that price. But here's the problem:

1) 16:9 aspect ratio makes web browsing in portrait all but impossible - too tall and narrow, it just feels weird and unnatural.
2) No active digitizer. If like me you don't use your pen often, you do appreciate it being there when you need it. I owned a Y2P previously and not having the pen bugged me - a lot.
3) With keyboard it is only .5 lbs heavier than the SP3 with keyboard. Heavier enough to begin feeling pretty heavy as a tablet. Also, of course, you can take the keyboard off the SP3 and then you are 1.2 lbs lighter. :)

Want to remind yourself how narrow a 16:9 screen is for browsing in portrait? Set your SP3 to 1920 x 1080. Yep, narrow. To see the entire width of webpage at once text would be so small as to be unreadable.

If I were going for just an ultrabook, I'd pick the Y2P over the SP3, especially at its sale price. But if I want a "one ring to rule them all, nothing it can't do" device, SP3 is the clear choice.

ctitanic

Screenshot (81).png

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Speaking of portrait browsing, if you have given up on Chrome as a browser, you might want to give the new 64 bit version a try. Reason is that they have really nailed the "swipe back", "swipe forward" feature than MUI IE uses. Unlike MUI IE there is no lag or delay - pages refresh very quickly. It's pretty cool.

ctitanic

Speaking of portrait browsing, if you have given up on Chrome as a browser, you might want to give the new 64 bit version a try. Reason is that they have really nailed the "swipe back", "swipe forward" feature than MUI IE uses. Unlike MUI IE there is no lag or delay - pages refresh very quickly. It's pretty cool.
Chrome?! The only reason I had it installed is hangouts but after testing this tool on IE with positive results, If I can call seeing my battery drained in less than 5 hours on that way, I'm considering uninstalling it from my SP3 and pass Cleaner 3 times to be sure that there is nothing left from that software in my lovely SP3.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Chrome?! The only reason I had it installed is hangouts but after testing this tool on IE with positive results, If I can call seeing my battery drained in less than 5 hours on that way, I'm considering uninstalling it from my SP3 and pass Cleaner 3 times to be sure that there is nothing left from that software in my lovely SP3.

Well, since I'm usually close to a wall plug, battery burn isn't a problem for me. But I hate the MUI IE back and forward swipe lag (even with reloads turned off). So until MUI IE fixes that it's Chrome for me. Waiting 5 seconds for a simple webpage to refresh is unacceptable.

ctitanic

Well, since I'm usually close to a wall plug, battery burn isn't a problem for me. But I hate the MUI IE back and forward swipe lag (even with reloads turned off). So until MUI IE fixes that it's Chrome for me. Waiting 5 seconds for a simple webpage to refresh is unacceptable.
Like the line taking from a famous movie classic, "you need a bigger boat". Which means, get a better router or ISP because my MUI IE refresh almost instantaneously.

kundas1

Like the line taking from a famous movie classic, "you need a bigger boat". Which means, get a better router or ISP because my MUI IE refresh almost instantaneously.

sorry Frank but that isn't true, I have 60MB down and it still takes 5 seconds to reload when going back, also I have a ASUS router dual band that cost me like $150 and it was still slow to refresh when going back...

ctitanic

sorry Frank but that isn't true, I have 60MB down and it still takes 5 seconds to reload when going back, also I have a ASUS router dual band that cost me like $150 and it was still slow to refresh when going back...
Do you understand that you are talking about 5 seconds?! You should be very young when 5 seconds seems to you a lot.;)

Any way, Chrome is not faster, it's all an illusion created by having a lot of background tasks sucking battery and creating an unneeded cache just to have it ready in case that you decide to click in any link. So thanks, I pass on Chrome.:cool:

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I get 60 mbps down as well and MUI EI is very slow when swiping back a prior page (which should be cached), and that's with page refresh turned off. With page refresh turned on in is intolerable. The new Chrome is pretty much instantaneous, maybe a second at most to refresh when swiping back.

Whatever MUI IE is doing on their back action, it isn't optimized.

kundas1

Do you understand that you are talking about 5 seconds?! You should be very young when 5 seconds seems to you a lot.;)

Any way, Chrome is not faster, it's all an illusion created by having a lot of background tasks sucking battery and creating an unneeded cache just to have it ready in case that you decide to click in any link. So thanks, I pass on Chrome.:cool:

well when your used to other browsers taking a second, which is why I use the desktop IE11 then 5 seconds is alot! lol maybe YOU don't mind but others do... and I'm getting older, not younger and don't want to wait when I got other stuff to see! LOL

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

well when your used to other browsers taking a second, which is why I use the desktop IE11 then 5 seconds is alot! lol maybe YOU don't mind but others do... and I'm getting older, not younger and don't want to wait when I got other stuff to see! LOL

MUI IE does many things well. Swiping back ain't one of them. :)