What's new

Forbes just quoted you guys on SB Problems - lol

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was the original surface this dodgy at launch? So far I've read little but reasons to stay far away. To me this seems like the sp1, a concept device that they are unable to refine right now so just figured "that'll do for rev 1"

ericspt

I must goto the Microsoft store now and exploit my 15 seconds of fame to get them to fix my laptop :)

Today I have opposite problem to yesterday. With the last update my dock issues went away but I still get the color temp changes on the laptop itself.

EMINENT

It's good that we have a store nearby. I'm not really concerned with the hue changes as it could resolve with an update. Like now I'm not seeing any of it.

EMINENT

Hold on to your horses!

Looks like there may be a temp fix as word got out and MS is hopefully aware and working on it. I wouldn't be so quick to do an exchange until we know what's going on.

Save yourself some time and wait it out.

From Winbeta:

The issues seems to be happening to developers, business customers or others who enable Hyper-V. Hyper-V has traditionally served as a testing ground for developers, secure workstations for businesses, or ways for Insiders to test newer builds of Windows with little danger of ruining their main PC.

Also experiencing this. I have installed Visual Studio 2015 Community (with Windows Phone emulator… HyperV may be the culprit).

I reached out to support. They said the engineering team is aware of the issue and are working on a fix. The devices are not defective and don’t need to be returned. -gaforrest

Fortunately, there is a workaround for the issue until Microsoft releases a more permanent fix. Using the command line, users experiencing the screen flicker can disable Hyper-V for the time being.

• Type CMD into the search bar
  • Enter: dism.exe/Online/Disable-Feature:Microsoft-Hyper-V
Anecdotally, both Twitter and Reddit are filling up with complaints about other driver issues that are occurring with both the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4. The new Surfaces are arguably hardware marvels, but Microsoft and Intel have some early work ahead of them to refine the experience for many.

ericspt

Hold on to your horses!

Looks like there may be a temp fix as word got out and MS is hopefully aware and working on it. I wouldn't be so quick to do an exchange until we know what's going on.

Save yourself some time and wait it out.

From Winbeta:

I disabled Hyper-V, which I do want but not need today.

Maybe its in my head but much snappier, especially on boot and login.

OP
BearFlag

BearFlag

Do you guys think that most of the issues people are having are:

1) software related, which can be fixed with future updates
2) due to a bunch of products being shipped with hardware defects, impacting certain unlucky customers who happen to get the "lemons"
3) genuine hardware issues that come with the first generation of the product (ie cannot be solved with firmware updates) impacting everyone at some point

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
All of what I have seen are software issues.
The one issue with screen removal may be a mechanical issue or could be ... something else ... remains to be seen.
I'm sure a few actual hardware problems have occurred it's inevitable, known as infant mortality.

malberttoo

Was the original surface this dodgy at launch?

Definitely some problems, but not too bad. SP3 was the worst, with combined issues with Connected Standby and the horrible Marvel WiFi/BT adapter.

I think I'd always expect some issues of a new device at launch, but we also have to keep in mind that this site is partly a hospital, where folks come for help. And just like in the hospital, just because you see see four broken arms in the same night, doesn't mean everyone in town is experiencing a broken arm, in fact most aren't.