What's new

Force WiFi 5GHz

OP
N

netplumbers

the first point of your posts with quoting from my posts does not make sense to me, have no idea what your trying to say...

second part of your post here is my response;

that's why routers allow you to differentiate names between the 2 bands as so you can connect to the one you want in favor, don't forget that although the 5.4ghz band is stronger it isn't as stable as the 2.4ghz range, because the 2.4ghz range goes through walls better than 5.4ghz band...BUT 5.4ghz works on LONGER ranges better than 2.4ghz, so that is why MS probably sets it up to connect to the 2.4ghz for more "stability" continuity. makes sense no?

No, it doesn't and most consumer grade routers don't do what you are suggesting (enterprise class radios can but no one deploys like that, everyone in enterprise spaces is pushing for 5GHz). 5GHz is generally widely preferred because it has considerably less interference, is typically set for broader frequency ranges with substantially improved bandwidth. The only advantage of 2.4GHz is that is has slightly lower attenuation is most building materials and therefore shows a higher range. I repeat my request that we bring this thread back to the original question, we clearly have some diversity of knowledge on WiFi best practices and I don't think this is the appropriate forum. It seems that what I'm asking simply can't be done with the marvell chipset - or isnt' yet documented if it can. Should someone learn otherwise, please post.

Moderators, I respectfully request that if we can't get this thread back on track, it be locked.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
No, it doesn't and most consumer grade routers don't do what you are suggesting (enterprise class radios can but no one deploys like that, everyone in enterprise spaces is pushing for 5GHz). 5GHz is generally widely preferred because it has considerably less interference, is typically set for broader frequency ranges with substantially improved bandwidth. The only advantage of 2.4GHz is that is has slightly lower attenuation is most building materials and therefore shows a higher range. I repeat my request that we bring this thread back to the original question, we clearly have some diversity of knowledge on WiFi best practices and I don't think this is the appropriate forum. It seems that what I'm asking simply can't be done with the marvell chipset - or isnt' yet documented if it can. Should someone learn otherwise, please post.

Moderators, I respectfully request that if we can't get this thread back on track, it be locked.

One point, most Consumer Dual Band Routers allow for different SSIDs for each band and for many it is the default. This is true for Belkin, Netgear, Linksys and ASUS consumer routers dating back at least 4 years.

Now on your request to set Affinity, you will need to research if what you want can be achieved via PowerShell or Registry Edit, as the Chipset is capable but the Driver doesn't expose it...

PandaSPUR

Hey All,

Not sure how or why this thread has devolved from a "how can i get my product to use 5Ghz wifi" into wifi architecture standards and dishing out unnecessary comments making assumptions on what people will or wont do. It all just seems a little unnecessary and off topic in my opinion. I was under the impression this forum was to help one another, not put them away or make them feel insignificant... :confused:

Anyway, back on topic. I though that @netplumbers original question was genuine and something i would like to know the answer to myself. As he mentioned, all the other products i have seem to manage the distinction just fine and will connect to the fastest band as appropriate. However the surface will inherently (in my experience) connect and operate much slower than the alternative devices in our house (MacBook, iPhones, Android Tablets, etc) even when next to each other.

Saying that, If the surface cannot do it for whatever reason (which would be an awful shame and very surprising) then we have to accept that is it a limitation of the product. However we should remain mindful that people have brought up the topic of Wifi previously in other threads so if something can be done to help i believe its worth exploring :)

Cheers,

MrTPN

But 5Ghz (wave frequency) doesn't always mean faster. I believe the SP2 (and other devices) will pick whichever band has a stronger signal. And since 2.4Ghz can penetrate walls better, the SP2 might actually see it as the better option.
For example, on my HTC One I force it to use 2.4Ghz because I experience a lot of packet drops on 5Ghz if I'm all the way in my living room, and it makes using T-Mobile's wifi calling feature useless.

How do you even tell which band any of these devices are connected to anyway? I'm not sure if the tools on my thinkpad even told me which it connected to lol.

I don't mean to drag the topic back to arguing about wifi specs, but it should be known that the 5Ghz frequency band is NOT always better than 2.4Ghz.

beman39

But 5Ghz (wave frequency) doesn't always mean faster. I believe the SP2 (and other devices) will pick whichever band has a stronger signal. And since 2.4Ghz can penetrate walls better, the SP2 might actually see it as the better option.
For example, on my HTC One I force it to use 2.4Ghz because I experience a lot of packet drops on 5Ghz if I'm all the way in my living room, and it makes using T-Mobile's wifi calling feature useless.

How do you even tell which band any of these devices are connected to anyway? I'm not sure if the tools on my thinkpad even told me which it connected to lol.

I don't mean to drag the topic back to arguing about wifi specs, but it should be known that the 5Ghz frequency band is NOT always better than 2.4Ghz.

exactly and that was my point, I can tell you for a fact my ASUS 5GHz range does NOT get better signals through walls! and ASUS is supposed to be the best on the market at the moment for it's dual bands and even that doesn't get better signals than the 2.4GHz range! anyways that's all I'm gonna say, looks like the best answer to you dilemma is what JNJ posted...good luck

iMike

I know it's an old post but I've just had the same issue and found a super easy way to fix that.

1. Go to control panel
2. System
3. Device manager
4. Expand Network adapters
5. Double click Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller
6. Go to Advanced tab
7. Select Band
8. Change from auto to 5GHz Only
9. Hit OK
10. Disable and enable wifi or just restart Windows.

That's it!