What's new

format or reset factory settings on RT

vxrich

Hi

Can anyone tell me how to format or reset an rt to it original factory settings please? Having problems with the microsoft account and its come to the stage where Ive removed the account in the settings but the account seems to still exist when I restart the rt? So Im thinking starting from scratch would be the best way to go

Cheers

Rich

Sin

Not 100% sure, since I have not done this yet on a Windows 8 let alone a Surface RT, but check Settings - Change PC settings - General and scroll down to Remove everything and reinstall Windows.

leeshor

You may also be able to get a fresh install by doing an F8 on boot and choosing the restore option.

compnovo

If you type in "refresh" you will see under Settings "Refresh your PC" and "Remove everything and reinstall Windows".

machistmo

There is a power button form of this as well. Hold the power button when you see Surface displayed and then release when it when it restarts and then hold it again when you see Surface again. This will bring up the reset options. IIRC - did this the first night I had my personal unit.

wilbur4321

Hi

Can anyone tell me how to format or reset an rt to it original factory settings please? Having problems with the microsoft account and its come to the stage where Ive removed the account in the settings but the account seems to still exist when I restart the rt? So Im thinking starting from scratch would be the best way to go

Cheers

Rich

Go to settings on the charms (swipe from left), PC settings, General. Scroll to the bottom and choose the appropriate option.

--randy

Sent from Boards for Windows on Windows 8

R0bR

You might also want to get a 4GB USB key and put a copy of the recovery files on there. If something happens to the OS where you can't access the system or recover from boot it will be nice to have the recovery USB to boot from as back up. You can create the recovery USB from the control panel recovery options.

surface_daddy

does anyone else have used the USB option to format?

i just bought the SB and i am not sure if should do a clean format or just a factory reset.

i think when i use factory reset there will be many old temp data left somewhere in the system.