What's new

Forum member hands on reviews SP4

Foehammer

So, basically I love and hate relationship for me and my Surface, which will lead to that I sell it and get a Macbook as soon as the new ones are out.

Have the SP4 with i5 and 8gb RAM

What i LOVE: The Hardware, the hardware, and the hardware. Everything about this machine speaks of quality, love my typecover.

What i HATE: Windows, windows, and WINDOWS!!!! It's so god damn stupidly designed that it makes me sick. Before this i had a 3 years old asus pc that cost like $200, somehow using this new pc does not feel like the $1850 i had to shit out for this stupid machine (YEP i have to pay that much for the machine with the type cover in Sweden...). Windows 10 is laggy like hell, and programs are rather stupid to use.

I am no power user, I just want an easy to use pc that is logical to use and makes it feel like i live in the year of 2016. Now i have not tried Mac, so i might get disappointed with that one too, but I love my iPhone and software in that one, so I feel it's worth a try. I mean I chose to pay this much because i wanted that premium experience. Same with iPhone, I willingly pay more to get that premium feeling (tried two Androids just to see/feel if the grass was greener on the other side, was very disappointed with both, and sadly with Android too.)

I almost never use it as a tablet, windows is just so god damn stupid in that mode, trying to select files is extremely hard with a finger, and the same goes for the keyboard that does not pop up in pc mode, and i do dislike tablet mode strongly, and having to switch to it. And the list just goes on and on and on. But this is what i think and it's enough at that. Just sad for MS that they lost a user, because if this would have been right I would have tried their phones too, now I will not go back for years, decades, maybe never. But their own fault really.

Who knows, maybe I'll end up buying a Chromebook in the end :p

Oh, and I should mention that i actually managed to scratch it a little on the side, so could not return it during the 30 day window, lol, good luck for me, it's a bitch really :p

Sad that Microsoft did not manage to do a better job at this, especially windows that they have been working on forever but never feels new or modern, just stupid to use.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

You should blame MS for my buying the SP4 so late in the day. My previous machine - a SP3 which I bought on release day in Canada - was amazing!!! It has travelled continents with me. It has stayed with me in the best of hotels (where I had to pay high wifi charges!!!!!) and in very basic rooms where fast internet/ wireless access was free. It has been on planes, cars, trains, auto ricks, on foot with me and it has spent hours with me in coffeeshops, libraries and offices. In short, my SP3 has been a constant companion since I have had it.

But recently, I noticed a yellow band running vertically towards the left edge of the screen. At first, I ignored it thinking it was an optical illusion affecting tired eyes (I have been sleeping less than 4 hours per 24 for the last few weeks). But then I showed that yellowing thing to a few other people and they corroborated what I saw. What is worse is that it was creeping rightwards. Obviously with a 2-year old machine with no MS Complete, my options were a little limited. What I was apprehensive about was the screen failing or some other such catastrophe. Anyways, to cut to the chase, I handed it over to a family member who has been struggling for the longest time on a Surface 2 (RT) with a promise that I will upgrade her to a S3 or its successor (if MS launches one). All set, I ordered my SP4 - i5/8GB/256GB from a local store. And later in the evening I was back in my place with the SP4.

So, looks: Hmmm...Its not different than, but it is distinctive vis-à-vis the SP3. Obvious things are the screen size, the lack of the Windows button on the screen (thankfully) etc. All in all it felt refined when I compared it with the SP3. I love the logo and it goes well with my 950XL!!

OS: I was running the Fast Insiders Build (the latest version) on the SP3. The SP4 came with the last Threshold Build. It upgraded itself to Redstone 1, but some things failed to install, which I found a bit surprising. Anyways, I repeated the process again and it was fine. I like W10 so I have not really encountered any major issues...yet! But yes, it is still rough - quite rough - not polished at all. And, this needs to be fixed ASAP.

Before setting up the SP4, I inserted my 64GB mSD card into the SP4. There was that satisfying click as the card slotted into its given space. And then I encountered my second surprise. You see, the mSD card in the SP3 appears as an independent D:/F: drive - separate from (This PC) C: But in the SP4, it is listed as F: (USB Drive) but under (This PC) C: Why is this strange? Because I also have a WD 2TB external drive and another 2TB portable external drive (on which the SP4 saves its daily back ups) connected through the Surface Dock.

These drives D: and E: show up as independent drives (identified by product name) and not under (This PC) C: And, lastly, if I try to eject any of the drives and card, and I go to Safely Eject Devices and right click, I can eject the two external drives from there but there is no mention of the mSD card (this is different than the SP3 where the mSD card used to show up as an ejectable drive (usually labeled as SDXC or something like that).

If I was to remove the mSD card on the SP4, I have to go to File Explorer - Identify the USB Drive which is located under (This PC) C: and right click there. At that point in the menu there is the option to "safely eject/ remove". Is this normal? I have no idea - I just have my experience from the SP3 and a S3 (which is also a daily companion).

Other than that, Windows Hello is simply amazing but a bit wonky when the Surface is connected to the dock. There it is hit and miss. But when the Surface is taken off the dock it performs flawlessly. Its just been a couple of days and so a realistic assessment of battery life is not possible. But early indications suggest that it is not bad at least based on my use profile at the moment, which is ultra light - Office, Edge, Telegram, WhatsApp, Readit and some news apps.

I thought I could solve the mSD card thing which continues to niggle me - because I don't know any better, I guess - so I reset the device again. But after all updates - by which I mean updating to 1607, that mSD card behaviour remains the same.

I have paid more for this than I did for the SP3. Do I regret it? No. I do like some of the features of the SP4 and a new machine is always an exciting time!!! But I do wish the OS was more stable. It would do wonders for the hardware.

If I were to rate the SP4, out of a max of 10, I would give it 9.25 and that is mainly because of the hardware refinements that have been introduced. W10 will be excellent of such devices. But first, W10's issues really need to be ironed out.

Edit: Various typos and other things

Last edited:

Derekamoss

You should blame MS for my buying the SP4 so late in the day. My previous machine - a SP3 which I bought on release day in Canada - was amazing!!! It has travelled continents with me. It has stayed with me in the best of hotels (where I had to pay high wifi charges!!!!!) and in very basic rooms where fast internet/ wireless access was free. It has been on planes, cars, trains, auto ricks, on foot with me and it has spent hours with me in coffeeshops, libraries and offices. In short, my SP3 has been a constant companion since I have had it.

But recently, I noticed a yellow band running vertically towards the left edge of the screen. At first, I ignored it thinking it was an optical illusion affecting tired eyes (I have been sleeping less than 4 hours per 24 for the last few weeks). But then I showed that yellowing thing to a few other people and they corroborated what I saw. What is worse is that it was creeping rightwards. Obviously with a 2-year old machine with no MS Complete, my options were a little limited. What I was apprehensive about was the screen failing or some other such catastrophe. Anyways, to cut to the chase, I handed it over to a family member who has been struggling for the longest time on a Surface 2 (RT) with a promise that I will upgrade her to a S3 or its successor (if MS launches one). All set, I ordered my SP4 - i5/8GB/256GB from a local store. And later in the evening I was back in my place with the SP4.

So, looks: Hmmm...Its not different than, but it is distinctive vis-à-vis the SP3. Obvious things are the screen size, the lack of the Windows button on the screen (thankfully) etc. All in all it felt refined when I compared it with the SP3. I love the logo and it goes well with my 950XL!!

OS: I was running the Fast Insiders Build (the latest version) on the SP3. The SP4 came with the last Threshold Build. It upgraded itself to Redstone 1, but some things failed to install, which I found a bit surprising. Anyways, I repeated the process again and it was fine. I like W10 so I have not really encountered any major issues...yet! But yes, it is still rough - quite rough - not polished at all. And, this needs to be fixed ASAP.

Before setting up the SP4, I inserted my 64GB mSD card into the SP4. There was that satisfying click as the card slotted into its given space. And then I encountered my second surprise. You see, the mSD card in the SP3 appears as an independent D:/F: drive - separate from (This PC) C: But in the SP4, it is listed as F: (USB Drive) but under (This PC) C: Why is this strange? Because I also have a WD 2TB external drive and another 2TB portable external drive (on which the SP4 saves its daily back ups) connected through the Surface Dock.

These drives D: and E: show up as independent drives (identified by product name) and not under (This PC) C: And, lastly, if I try to eject any of the drives and card, and I go to Safely Eject Devices and right click, I can eject the two external drives from there but there is no mention of the mSD card (this is different than the SP3 where the mSD card used to show up as an ejectable drive (usually labeled as SDXC or something like that).

If I was to remove the mSD card on the SP4, I have to go to File Explorer - Identify the USB Drive which is located under (This PC) C: and right click there. At that point in the menu there is the option to "safely eject/ remove". Is this normal? I have no idea - I just have my experience from the SP3 and a S3 (which is also a daily companion).

Other than that, Windows Hello is simply amazing but a bit wonky when the Surface is connected to the dock. There it is hit and miss. But when the Surface is taken off the dock it performs flawlessly. Its just been a couple of days and so a realistic assessment of battery life is not possible. But early indications suggest that it is not bad at least based on my use profile at the moment, which is ultra light - Office, Edge, Telegram, WhatsApp, Readit and some news apps.

I thought I could solve the mSD card thing which continues to niggle me - because I don't know any better, I guess - so I reset the device again. But after all updates - by which I mean updating to 1607, that mSD card behaviour remains the same.

I have paid more for this than I did for the SP3. Do I regret it? No. I do like some of the features of the SP4 and a new machine is always an exciting time!!! But I do wish the OS was more stable. It would do wonders for the hardware.

If I were to rate the SP4, out of a max of 10, I would give it 9.25 and that is mainly because of the hardware refinements that have been introduced. W10 will be excellent of such devices. But first, W10's issues really need to be ironed out.

The Micro SD card thing is normal. It drove me nuts at first too, especially the icon lol. When I went to the MS store one day I asked about it and it turns out it is normal. Did it on all the Surfaces I inserted it in. The guys there the Surface Pro 4 handles mSD cards different. Instead of seeing it as a mSD it actually sees it as built in storage instead of removable. I guess they figured most people don't swap it out much so this was better. I hooked a mSD card reader up to usb and put some cards into get stuff off and it should as removable storage as normal so yeah its all good. I am OCD so the smallest things like that drive me nuts till I figure it out.

Derekamoss

Did you buy a type cover 4 for it or are u using the type cover 3, if so I highly recommend buying it. it is SO MUCH better than the old one.

kristalsoldier

The Micro SD card thing is normal. It drove me nuts at first too, especially the icon lol. When I went to the MS store one day I asked about it and it turns out it is normal. Did it on all the Surfaces I inserted it in. The guys there the Surface Pro 4 handles mSD cards different. Instead of seeing it as a mSD it actually sees it as built in storage instead of removable. I guess they figured most people don't swap it out much so this was better. I hooked a mSD card reader up to usb and put some cards into get stuff off and it should as removable storage as normal so yeah its all good. I am OCD so the smallest things like that drive me nuts till I figure it out.

Yes, thanks! I realized that and I was also advised the same by Jeff (@jnjroach) who I asked first and who told me exactly what you have mentioned.

I think this new system is much better. I took the opportunity to slip in a 128GB card too, which takes care of storage issues for the foreseeable future over the life of the SP4.

Nice machine though!!! I have to say I do like it better than the SP3, which is not fair really since the latter has served me very well over 2 years.