What's new

"Free" Windows 10??

luv2skipow

Microsoft said the S3 will get a "free" Windows 10 but is this the "free" for 1 year W10 or REALLY free??
Has anyone confirmed?

Spider

Super Moderator
Staff member
They've been saying, "For the life of your device." Whatever that means.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
As long as you upgrade within the first 12 months of availability and you have a valid Windows 7 or 8.x license, Windows 10 Upgrades (key word) are free....

This also puts you on the Fast Ring for new features and updates, which is part of the agreement.

leeshor

The Microsoft account rep even called it a perpetual license. There will not be any more traditional patch Tuesdays and some of the patches will actually be upgrades.

As it stands now, using the preview, every build is essentially a new installation that just happens to preserve everything. The way he was talking it's as if Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows, kinda sorta.

As Jeff pointed out, if you're legal now and fully patched you can get the upgrade in the first year of release for free and the upgrade will last the life of the system, however long that may be.

OP
L

luv2skipow

I am referring to the S3 specifically not general upgrades.

Edit: Did some more reading and I was under the impression that the upgrade was free only for one year and a user would have to buck up or revert.

Looks like I misinterpreted the info.

Last edited:

leeshor

Understandable. A year ago some people would have considered the idea that Microsoft would give you a free edition of new Windows was fake.

talon90

As you've now realized the free for one year simply means that you can get the update for free for the first year after the Windows 10 OS is released. After that, you would have to pay to upgrade your device. Windows 10 is still like previous OS versions in that it is pay once and use it for the life of the device. I'm still however waiting for them to shift to a cloud like "pay to play" service like Adobe has done with Creative Cloud and MS has done with Office 365. Hoping it doesn't happen.

malberttoo

As you've now realized the free for one year simply means that you can get the update for free for the first year after the Windows 10 OS is released. After that, you would have to pay to upgrade your device. Windows 10 is still like previous OS versions in that it is pay once and use it for the life of the device. I'm still however waiting for them to shift to a cloud like "pay to play" service like Adobe has done with Creative Cloud and MS has done with Office 365. Hoping it doesn't happen.

Microsoft has already stated that they will definitely be transitioning Windows to "software as a service", even going so far as to state that Windows 10 is the last "version" of Windows we'll see, as everything after this will be continual small updates.

Whether that will be different for business/enterprise vs. consumer, we'll have to wait and see.

I'm with you, I'm not a fan of that model though.

talon90

Microsoft has already stated that they will definitely be transitioning Windows to "software as a service", even going so far as to state that Windows 10 is the last "version" of Windows we'll see, as everything after this will be continual small updates.

Whether that will be different for business/enterprise vs. consumer, we'll have to wait and see.

I'm with you, I'm not a fan of that model though.

Ugh! I missed that from MS. I'll be sad to see it go. Time to start hording Fresh OS disc's LOL before they become collectors items. I'm really not sure how that is going to fly with the general market. Selling me a PC that can't operate without an operating system and then telling me that I have to pay to play just seems like a problem where there are no competitors (no legitmate ones). I don't see corporate America moving to Free BSD, LOL.

We deliberately jumped on the Office 2013 bandwagon purposely to avoid that model with Office 365. We got trapped with Adobe Creative Cloud but left AutoCAD for Draftsight because of the outrageous prices that Autodesk had been asking. It's not going to go over well when Microsoft starts telling multi-user environments that they need to pony up every month or every year.

malberttoo

Ugh! I missed that from MS. I'll be sad to see it go. Time to start hording Fresh OS disc's LOL before they become collectors items. I'm really not sure how that is going to fly with the general market. Selling me a PC that can't operate without an operating system and then telling me that I have to pay to play just seems like a problem where there are no competitors (no legitmate ones). I don't see corporate America moving to Free BSD, LOL.

We deliberately jumped on the Office 2013 bandwagon purposely to avoid that model with Office 365. We got trapped with Adobe Creative Cloud but left AutoCAD for Draftsight because of the outrageous prices that Autodesk had been asking. It's not going to go over well when Microsoft starts telling multi-user environments that they need to pony up every month or every year.

Yes, it will definitely be interesting to see how the pricing shakes out.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/7/8568473/windows-10-last-version-of-windows