What's new

Freeze after lightuse

I've been perusing these forums the last couple of days in anticipation for my Surface Book, which I received today. I set it up and updated the firmware. Then shut it down to charge to 100%. After I booted it up and messed around with some settings, it froze. After multiple attempts with the power button, it finally shut off. I was stunned that a new device would do this so soon. I'm an Apple guy mainly, but Microsoft lured me with their Surface Book and now I'm not so sure if I want to keep this thing. I'm now worried that Microsoft has not ironed out all of the issues since the review units. Anyone else encounter this problem? Any tips?

OP
T

tatornator12

I will try to if it happens again. It happened right after I changed the setting for the trackpad's page sliding speed. Then everything froze and couldn't even do ctrl+alt+del.

kc912

I will try to if it happens again. It happened right after I changed the setting for the trackpad's page sliding speed. Then everything froze and couldn't even do ctrl+alt+del.

Sounds like a few people having issues... I don't know why MS always do this, hopefully drivers fixing things shortly

Did the firmware update that went live last night not address the issue? I also found this on their forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...freezing/9889417d-32ff-46c7-8be5-5ce8b92799b6

I am having the same issues as the folks on the MS forum. Seems to be reported on i7 devices for now. Crazy frustrated since my original SP3 was an i7 unit..nothing but problems. Returned it for an i5 and my SP3 has been 99% excellent. I was hoping MS fixed whatever bugs were related to that chip, if any.

I have updated my S i7 256 w/ GPU to the most recent drivers, windows updates, etc.

When I check properties on the intel graphics card, it shows no onboard memory and 4 gb shared. Wouldn't the GPU version of the SB show onboard memory or am I not looking at the right properties box?

OP
T

tatornator12

I really hope it's not a hardware problem, but I'm having a difficult time believing otherwise. It's quite frustrating that I was hoping the SB would be a great replacement for a MacBook, but right now I'm not so sure. At least we can return it within 30 days, which I hope it doesn't come to that.

I really hope it's not a hardware problem, but I'm having a difficult time believing otherwise. It's quite frustrating that I was hoping the SB would be a great replacement for a MacBook, but right now I'm not so sure. At least we can return it within 30 days, which I hope it doesn't come to that.

Me too. I have been using Apple computers since 2003. They just work. The SP3 was the first computer in 12 years to convince me to switch back to Windows. I do love Win 10 and the SP3 and really want to love the SB. Lets hope they fix these issues with a firmware patch soon.

I'm still having crazy issues with the dock and my Dell monitor. Whenever I want to display on the Dell without the SB monitor, it inverts the screen and everything is upside down. You can't make this stuff up...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know it's no consolation but the same thing happened to my MacBook when I got it, took all of two hours to dispel the myth for me. That's life. :(

fonzman78

I haven't had any issues yet but then I've been using it all day without installing any updates. I'll try installing them now and see what happens.

OP
T

tatornator12

So I used OneNote during class tonight and had no freezing issues (note that's the only program installed on it so far). However, I did run into a BSOD on startup of the SB. Is there anyway to resolve that issue? What a frustrating first day with the SB....

fonzman78

just finished installing all updates. Rebooted a couple times but no hang ups or BSOD. Everything working great. I have installed Office365, Visio365, VMWare Workstation 11. Now installing Steam as, being a gamer, I have to see how it will run games. I have a 3 day road trip this week and I want to be ready to game.