What's new

Freezing and possibly useless

SteveP

It would seem the latest software update has killed my SurfaceRT. It now freezes on the home (tile) screen won't launch any apps (they don't respond to taps), can't switch into desktop mode. Its completely unresponsive. It won't scroll or respond to any finger presses. The keyboard won't even CTRL ALT DEL.

Does anyone have any advice on how I might reset it? Or is it beyond rescue? In which case its going to be a very expensive paper weight.

ZachBui

So you need to enter recovery mode:

These are the steps I found if you don't have a usb recovery device:

1. Turn off the device by holding power for 6-10 seconds
2. Tap the power button to turn it back on.
3. Once the surface logo appears, wait for circling dots to appear and then hold power for 6-10 seconds to turn device off again.
4. Repeat steps 2&3 until the surface logo appears with words underneath saying “Preparing Automatic Repair”

Sin

You might want to start off just trying to force a reboot. Which is just step 1 & 2 of the above instructions. Mine has gotten stuck before and forcing a reboot has work.

ArnoldC

Before repair, reboot first as said by Sin.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

OP
S

SteveP

I can get the CTRL ALT DEL dialog up but it won't start Task manager when I tap on it. Have tried resetting it. Have had to enter the Bitlocker recovery key. Have tried forcing a factory RESET but the hold left SHOFT key instructions I have don't seem to be working.

Sin

The keyboard shortcut to directly launch the task manager is CTRL - Shift - ESC. Might not respond once it launches if the CTRL - ALT - DEL menu is unresponsive, but could be worth a shot and also a handy shortcut to have in general.

gpstrucker

Glad I read this. Not having the issue but also didn't know creating a USB recovery device was even an option. Have now done so, just in case.

OP
S

SteveP

Eventually after trying several other recovery options I had to resort to a full factory reset. This has worked a treat though restoring all the outstanding updates and various other tasks means its taken most of a day. I now have a working Surface. I haven't restored all my apps as yet as I suspect it was one of those that was causing the problem.

For future reference I'm adding the instructions on how to do this

I found this on another forum:

The only way to kick off a RESET without signing into Windows is to interrupt windows startup a couple times to get Windows Automatic Repair to start:

1. Turn off the device by holding power for 6-10 seconds

2. Tap the power button to turn it back on.

3. Once the surface logo appears, wait for circling dots to appear and then hold power for 6-10 seconds to turn device off again.

4. Repeat steps 2&3 until the surface logo appears with words underneath saying “Preparing Automatic Repair”

5. Recovery mode will start.

6. At the Bitlocker screen, tap “skip this drive”

7. Tap advanced options

8. Tap Troubleshoot

9. Tap Reset…

10. .. tap Just remove my files.

11. Reset process will take approx. 20-30 minutes – all data will be removed from the device.

After the Reset process completes, the OOBE/start up wizard should start and the customer can complete setup of their Surface device.

OP
S

SteveP

And I will be creating a rescue USB shortly :) This might mean I don't have to take such radical steps the next time I have an issue

machistmo

You can also get to the menu by simply holding Shift and pressing the RESTART button on Screen. Faster and easier than all the power button stuff, though that process does work. Just swipe from Right and settings and Power, then Hold SHIFT and Touch RESTART. Voila - Recovery Menu.

Last edited:

Tully

I don't get the circling dots!

Tried everything!

How do I make a rescue USB?

Surface RT 32

Tully