What's new

French accent on UK keyboard

Good morning,

Covered by the warranty, I got my surface book replaced. Great. But I had a SB with a French keyboard (called AZERTY) replaced by an UK keyboard QWERTY)...I called the service center and asked them why. Their answer 'because that's what we had in stock" (how clever..).
In other words, if they had a Mandarin SB in stock, I would have got a Chinese SB. ;)

Now, I try to figure out how to generate the French accents using the UK keyboard . I can generate the é (Alt Group + e) but I did not find out how to generate the è or the ê. Tried multiple combination of keys. If anyone has got an idea?

Thank you

Last edited:
OP
W

whatamidoinghere

Good morning,

Covered by the warranty, I got my surface book replaced. Great. But I had a SB with a French keyboard (called AZERTY) replaced by an UK keyboard QWERTY)...I called the service center and asked them why. Their answer 'because that's what we had in stock" (how clever..).
In other words, if they had a Mandarin SB in stock, I would have got a Chinese SB. ;)

Now, I try to figure out how to generate the French accents using the UK keyboard . I can generate the é (Alt Group + e) but I did not find out how to generate the è or the ê. Tried multiple combination of keys. If anyone has got an idea?

Thank you

Another possibility for me would be to reassign Keyboard keys. There are some I never ever use, example the '|' . It would be great if I could reassign that one to a French accent. But can we reassign/redefine keyboard keys?

Afy

You could just set the keyboard to be AZERTY. I am assuming that you pretty much know the layout of the AZERTY keyboard, and would not be confused by the keys actually saying QWERTY.
Also you could keep at support to send you an AZERTY base.