What's new

Frequent BSOD on Surface Pro 2017

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
My SP has become virtually unusable due to frequent BSOD errors. I'm getting the windows store exception I had before but also now System_service_exception and once a critical stop exception. I ran the surface troubleshooter which found nothing, but the device is doing it so frequently now I can't trust it.

I'm back at uni after Christmas and will be doing a project and I can't have my SP doing this.

I'm just about to call support but thought Id ask the experts here too.

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got the original BSOD's in Oct. since then I updated twice but it happened again this morning - currently I'm on 17134.471

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's the age of this device? Still in warranty?
What's the Reliability Monitor/History say?
Support is likely to ask you to do a Reset...
If you still get BOSD after a Clean Install / Reset - remove everything. It's likely time for a replacement.

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's the age of this device? Still in warranty?
What's the Reliability Monitor/History say?
Support is likely to ask you to do a Reset...
If you still get BOSD after a Clean Install / Reset - remove everything. It's likely time for a replacement.
It's not a year old yet. I have contacted support, I tried the Surface troubleshooter which doesn't find anything. I'll look at reliability monitor... didn't know that existed.

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm not great.
upload_2018-12-15_14-23-51.png

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok so I can see that today's crash might have been caused by a failed WindowsSkype update. But there's a variety of things. Most worrying is this - however when I ran the trouble shooter it tested hardware and found no issues.
upload_2018-12-15_14-28-26.png

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be interested in some of the other reports. This one, bottom line calls out the Mrvlpcie8897.sys which is the wifi driver.

Last edited:
OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok I've got quite a few Intel Audio Service errors too, Microsoft edge content process stopped, and then going back in time a bit more is where the windows store install process stopped. they all seem a bit random!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok I've got quite a few Intel Audio Service errors too, Microsoft edge content process stopped, and then going back in time a bit more is where the windows store install process stopped. they all seem a bit random!
There could be a commonality if they are were using WiFi at the time though. Like if streaming audio, Edge Content and Store could all rely on WiFi.

Then if drivers are stepping on each other or other code you can get all sorts of random issues. You could try manually updating drivers from device manager and force it to check for an update.