What's new

From 4 to 7 hours

TPadden

Firstly, i have a battery compatible with the sp3 so i can also argue "all day"......
.... but you can't argue "STANDARD" :D.

The times I need to run off a battery most I am a long walk from a wall socket. I don't care how long it takes to charge as long as I can run it from a vehicle battery or external battery while it charges using standard accessories.

Everyone has different uses .... agreed yours works for you :cool:.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
.... but you can't argue "STANDARD" :D.

The times I need to run off a battery most I am a long walk from a wall socket. I don't care how long it takes to charge as long as I can run it from a vehicle battery or external battery while it charges using standard accessories.

Everyone has different uses .... agreed yours works for you :cool:.

Oh, i'm not denying that standard is useful, i'm not paying £50 for a damned replacement/spare charger. However i'm also aware of how easy it is to damage a socket on a tablet due to it's weight compared to a phone/phablet (ala my nexus 10, had to buy the pogo cable). Definately different use for different person though.

I'm just interested to see just how long it does take to charge, and whether they use some quick charge technology like found on phones, although afaik this proves detrimental to overall battery life.

seldenm

I have a Surface Pro 2 and routinely get over 9 hours while working with SQL Server, and doing web development with Visual Studio.
However, my son who has a Surface Pro 3 recently decided to see how long he could go on battery during a 16 hour (two way) drive from college in Texas to an away game. He put all his study materials on his Surface, set it to airplane mode and turned the brightness all the way down. It lasted 14.5 hours! He says is MacBook Air friends check their batteries before entering the classroom, and if they are below 14% don't even bother turning them on. But when his Surface is at 14% he knows he still has several good hours left.

mtalinm

powercfg -batteryreport shows 5:48 on my Surface 3 vs. 5:23 on my Surface Pro 3 (i7).

Both far short of expectations. Particularly disappointed with S3 so far. My armchair estimate was 6 hours, and powercfg resonates with that.

Also, the microUSB charging is a sham so far...hardly anything works besides the supplied brick, except for exceptionally slow trickle charging (and only when turned off). Car charger does zilch.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
powercfg -batteryreport shows 5:48 on my Surface 3 vs. 5:23 on my Surface Pro 3 (i7).

Both far short of expectations. Particularly disappointed with S3 so far. My armchair estimate was 6 hours, and powercfg resonates with that.

Also, the microUSB charging is a sham so far...hardly anything works besides the supplied brick, except for exceptionally slow trickle charging (and only when turned off). Car charger does zilch.
The Surface 3 charger is rated at 13 watts and most phone chargers are 1 or 2 watts so a phone charger will maintain or slow down discharge but will not charger the device while powered on....

malberttoo

Microsoft should start thinking about that too. They should not keep legacy applications around.

Agreed, and I know they are making a tremendous effort to do so. But they are also drastically more obligated to business customers than Apple ever was or will be, and I know there is much consideration that has to be given to the business/enterprise sector when talking about terminating backward compatibility.

I do agree with you though that it needs to happen.

netuser

If Microsoft could have gotten way more developers to write high quality modern apps and apps for all the popular products, RT and Windows Phone would have gotten much more popular. There are a lot of apps in the Windows Store, but so many of them a junk and second rate copies of the real apps people wanted.
Now, most people "have to have" full Windows because there is no modern equivalent for the legacy apps they use like there might be for an iPad.

mtalinm

Sure. But they couldn't. So they killed RT. It was too hard.

MSFT's only hope would've been to give away the OS and attract OEM handset manufacturers, like Android did. But they didn't. Its too late.