What's new

From Apple to Surface Pro need your help

deaddisco

Hi Guys

I too am thinking of getting a SP4. This is my first time getting back to windows since win 98. I'm currently using the Macbook Air as my main machine. It's an 11 inch MBA Mid 2012 release , 2Ghz Intel Core i7, 8Gbs of Ram 1600 MHz DDR3 , 256Gb Storage.

I use my laptop for web surfing, downloading and watching videos, music, some photoshop and video editing and video recording and exporting ( No 4K Videos , 1080p Max )

I'm looking to buy the Surface Pro 4 i5 256 Gb storage with 8gb Ram but am wondering if this specs is better than my MBA seeing it's an i7 albeit a processor from 2012.

I was also wondering if I should get the 16Gb Ram or 8Gb ram for my needs. If i go with the 8Gb Ram, i have the option of a i5 or a i7 . But if i go with the 16Gb , it would definitely have to be the i7 version.

Correct me if i am wrong. I’m thinking Ram would be more important for most people as the difference between the i5 and i 7 is negligible? Or maybe the i7 8GB might be the sweet spot for me? And the price difference is huge in my country. Would 16 GB of Ram be overkill ?

Am not very technical , not sure what the difference between the i7 and i5 is but have heard ( maybe wrongly so ) that there isn't much difference between the 2.

Please kindly advise. Thank you

Afy

Hi Guys

I too am thinking of getting a SP4. This is my first time getting back to windows since win 98. I'm currently using the Macbook Air as my main machine. It's an 11 inch MBA Mid 2012 release , 2Ghz Intel Core i7, 8Gbs of Ram 1600 MHz DDR3 , 256Gb Storage.

I use my laptop for web surfing, downloading and watching videos, music, some photoshop and video editing and video recording and exporting ( No 4K Videos , 1080p Max )

I'm looking to buy the Surface Pro 4 i5 256 Gb storage with 8gb Ram but am wondering if this specs is better than my MBA seeing it's an i7 albeit a processor from 2012.

I was also wondering if I should get the 16Gb Ram or 8Gb ram for my needs. If i go with the 8Gb Ram, i have the option of a i5 or a i7 . But if i go with the 16Gb , it would definitely have to be the i7 version.

Correct me if i am wrong. I’m thinking Ram would be more important for most people as the difference between the i5 and i 7 is negligible? Or maybe the i7 8GB might be the sweet spot for me? And the price difference is huge in my country. Would 16 GB of Ram be overkill ?

Am not very technical , not sure what the difference between the i7 and i5 is but have heard ( maybe wrongly so ) that there isn't much difference between the 2.

Please kindly advise. Thank you
The Pro 4 is definitely more powerful than you MBA. Also for visual work, 16 GB of RAM will make a difference. There is quite a difference in performance between the i5 and i7. There are several reviews on this forum, check them out. Personally my rule of the thumb is to get the most that you can afford. The SP4 is a great machine, but there are other options available in about the same price range, depends on how important weight, the pen et al are. You might want to look at the Dell's as well.

robertcan

Hi Guys

I too am thinking of getting a SP4. This is my first time getting back to windows since win 98. I'm currently using the Macbook Air as my main machine. It's an 11 inch MBA Mid 2012 release , 2Ghz Intel Core i7, 8Gbs of Ram 1600 MHz DDR3 , 256Gb Storage. Please kindly advise. Thank you

Curious why you're willing to leave Apple and come back to Windows? I'm one of those bi-polar Apple & Windows guys. Would you still be using your MBA or are you thinking of making a complete switch back to Windows?

deaddisco

Curious why you're willing to leave Apple and come back to Windows? I'm one of those bi-polar Apple & Windows guys. Would you still be using your MBA or are you thinking of making a complete switch back to Windows?

I'm not leaving Apple completely, I love my Apple products , I've used their Desktops, Laptops and Phones for over 10 years but since my Current laptop is 3 years old ( mid 2012 ) and Apple has not release anything new ( iPad Pro doesn't suit my needs, the Macbook being in it's first generation ). With the Price of the SP4 I could probably get a Newer MBA or a Base Macbook Pro but I wanted to try something new, With a Better screen ( the MBA screen is just so dated) and different OS and blah blah.

Of coz i'm very concerned about the issues that comes with the Windows OS but I think it's time to give windows a go having left MS since Win 98. Just hope it wont be a nightmare experience for me. I've been reading the forums and i go back and forth about switching back to Windows.

Apparently Apple might revise their MBA line next June , If it's a completely new design with better screen ( and better battery life than my current MBA) I'll definitely get it. In the meantime, i'll give windows a go. :)

robertcan

I'm not leaving Apple completely, I love my Apple products , I've used their Desktops, Laptops and Phones for over 10 years but since my Current laptop is 3 years old ( mid 2012 ) and Apple has not release anything new ( iPad Pro doesn't suit my needs, the Macbook being in it's first generation ). With the Price of the SP4 I could probably get a Newer MBA or a Base Macbook Pro but I wanted to try something new, With a Better screen ( the MBA screen is just so dated) and different OS and blah blah.

Of coz i'm very concerned about the issues that comes with the Windows OS but I think it's time to give windows a go having left MS since Win 98. Just hope it wont be a nightmare experience for me. I've been reading the forums and i go back and forth about switching back to Windows.

Apparently Apple might revise their MBA line next June , If it's a completely new design with better screen ( and better battery life than my current MBA) I'll definitely get it. In the meantime, i'll give windows a go. :)

Your reasons are similar to my own. I will say that living in both worlds is an adjustment I wasn't entirely expecting. I Have the 11in MBA, a 13in MBP, and two 27in iMac's along with a house full of iPhones, iPads and a couple of watches as well. I was expecting more from the iPad Pro (like OSX) and that's how I ended up taking a look at the SP4.

Since you're not leaving Apple entirely, I think you should give the SP4 a chance to impress you. If it doesn't fit your workflow, simply return it. I don't have any experience with the SP4 i7 so can't really offer any advice. I will say the fan on my SP4 runs more than any Apple fan I ever has, so that might be something to consider given that you edit video. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best!