What's new

From Windows 8, to preview 8.1, and now back to 8.0.

OP
S

Sit

8.1 runs good considering it's a preview. it does have some issues, like the 6 row tiles keep going back to 4 tiles after waking up from sleep. And the scanner via wifi doesn't work anymore when upgraded to 8.1 (brother MFC-J4510DW). Other than these two, it's working fine on my surface pro. I am ab;e to watch netflix, hluplus, vudu without issues. And my adobe apps (illustrator cc, photoshop cc, etc) all work fine without issues as well.

Curious, are you using wi-fi for video streaming successfully then? (not clear in your comment) I had streaming problems when on Wi-Fi and when blue tooth was also used, the system became unusable. Now I am back on 8.0 and am happy.

tonyz3

I primarily use 8.1 all the time now. No issues for me streaming vids or Bluetooth. Initially bt was a hassle repairing my speaker, keyboard, and mouse. Had to disable them a few times before they finally took, but all good now..

DOS

I upgraded to 8.1, then had a lot of issues with wi-fi so I switched back to 8.0...

However, I decided to give it a try again and although I'm still having some wi-fi issues, they're not as bad after the last update.

OP
S

Sit

I upgraded to 8.1, then had a lot of issues with wi-fi so I switched back to 8.0...

However, I decided to give it a try again and although I'm still having some wi-fi issues, they're not as bad after the last update.

Interesting. Although I don't plan to switch back to 8.1 prolly not until its released, it's good to hear some progress is being made.

bangsters

Curious, are you using wi-fi for video streaming successfully then? (not clear in your comment) I had streaming problems when on Wi-Fi and when blue tooth was also used, the system became unusable. Now I am back on 8.0 and am happy.

yes. i'm able to stream netflix, huluplus in my SP without issues. I'm also able to use airparrot to stream from SP to appletv without issues (although the airparrot app itself has kind of clunky). not sure if me using a wireless AC router helps.

MickeyLittle

I'm thinking about going back to 8.0 just so I can get some app updates and then take it back to 8.1 and repeat the process monthly till 8.1 is released. I've noticed on my desktop that I get app update notices every day or 2 and I'm running 8.0 on it but on my Surface there are never any apps to update. And I don't have it set to auto update.

Thoughts...

ArnoldC

What apps? The built in ones? The one on 8.1 don't get updates because they're current already, and is different release than 8.0

MickeyLittle

What apps? The built in ones? The one on 8.1 don't get updates because they're current already, and is different release than 8.0

No the apps that I've downloaded and purchased from the store. Just something as simple as the Netflix app has received a couple of updates on my desktop but nothing on my Surface and the only difference is that my desktop is on 8.0 and my tablet is on 8.1. So I believe I'm missing out on some improvements in some of my apps on my tablet.

fonzman78

yes. i'm able to stream netflix, huluplus in my SP without issues. I'm also able to use airparrot to stream from SP to appletv without issues (although the airparrot app itself has kind of clunky). not sure if me using a wireless AC router helps.

I took my SP on my first road trip after installing 8.1. I had no issues with wifi or streaming. I was able to watch all my shows from my Dish Hopper without any problems.