What's new

frozen after most recent automatic update

binbrooklyn

...Just like the title said, the screen on my week-old tablet is frozen since the new update.

I can:

turn it off and on (including type opening password)
control/alt/delete (but task mngr does not work. it won't open. touching it or clicking via keyboard navigation just closes task pane)

I cannot:

do anything except turn it on and off

Does anyone have any advice?

Sin

How are you turning it off? My Surface hung up a week or so ago and would not respond to much. I could turn the scene on and off with the power button, but that obviously did nothing. I ended up having to hold down the power button for a few seconds and then when I hit the power button it displayed the Surface boot screen and everything was back.

Hyflex

I have the exact same problem, woke up this morning and it wasnt working. Everything identical to your problems.

OP
B

binbrooklyn

MS help told me to "refresh" the operating system and after a bunch of failed attempts to find a way to do that they had me do this (though it still does not work)

1. from the login screen
2. hold down shift while clicking restart or shutdown from the icon in the bottom right corner.

It went through a long process that involved inputting a 48 digit recovery key and it still doesn't work... ...I had to go to work (I had already been on the phone for an hour) and I tried to do it last night again but was not able to get the shift+restart or shutdown to do anything.

Hyflex

it didnt fix the problem its still the same, dont ms test the damn updates before they send them out

Hyflex

how do you reformat? I have nothing on the device just some apps but i can just dl them the tablets pretty useless atm with hardly any apps and we cant run our normal programs

OP
B

binbrooklyn

same thing

1. from the login screen
2. hold down shift while clicking restart (in the menu under the icon in the bottom right corner).

in the same menu that you chose Refresh (I think it's called advanced options) ...there is also a Reset option. I just started to do that with mine now for the same reason (I don't particularly need a paperweight)

Hyflex

I got the tablet for free and I'm pretty damn glad I never had to pay for this, it's utterly useless right at the moment.