What's new

Frustrated with 2 new Surface Pro 2s not charging

VAMom2

We just bought our daughter a new SP2 from Best Buy last week. We took it to her when we visited her college yesterday. She tried to charge it overnight and it read "Battery Not Detected" this morning. We tried to do all that the Microsoft site said to do to no avail. Took it back to another Best Buy (not in the same city) and replaced it with another new one. Tried once again and this one is saying the same thing!

It is extremely frustrating to have two brand new tablets have such issues. We have looked at the Microsoft site till our eyes are blurry and have tried as much troubleshooting as we know how. I am ready to just take this one back, call this a bad decision on a new tablet for her and go for another brand. We liked the SP2 because it was so similar to her laptop and thought she would find it easier to use. Well, she can't use it in class if it doesn't charge.....Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
While the device is off, Hold the Volume Rocker up and Press the Power Button and boot to the UEFI Screen and exit making no changes, the machine will reboot, log in and see if the Battery is detected.

kundas1

man some of you should play the lottery! I find it astronomical that some people are bringing back their device and then having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM with their replacement device!... this blows my mind! LOL anyways I would do just as JNJROACH suggested, as that usually fixes the glitches..

OP
V

VAMom2

I find it astronomical that a kid puts in a decent chunk of her hard earned summer work money to buy not one, but two computer tablets from Microsoft that won't work for her.

Thanks for the suggestion above; she and her dad tried that (and about two hours worth of other "tricks") and none worked. She doesn't have the time nor computer tech knowledge to keep trying to fix what should be something so simple...You plug in a new tablet, let it charge, take it to class....

We are having her mail it home to us and we are taking it back to Best Buy and getting her/our money back. Had my fill of Surface Pros. Next up, maybe a Dell Venue. Anyone had any experience with those?

kundas1

well here's hoping you have more luck with the Dell... but I bought 4 MS tablets and all 4 didn't have 1 problem with them the last being my SP3... as for the Dell I've always liked their products so (laptops and desktops) I don't know if you won't run into QC problems, since everything is made in china like the Surface tablets but I would recommend sticking it out with the Surface line because once you get a good working one you won't be disappointed! ;)