What's new

Full Circle

Telstar1948

Strange how things go around and come around...

Some time ago I had a desktop for my office. Then the SP3 came out. I absolutely believed that if I could just put everything onto my SP3 (one device), all would be well. So I did that, SP3, dock etc, and all my stuff. Worked great (except for wanting to game a little now and then & that didn't work out too well), loved the form factor, portability and all. In the back of my mind I was a little concerned, though, about not having a device backup. I had data backup, but I use a wide range of software both for business and personal use. It takes a day or two at least to get everything installed and everything that goes with that. So, I had a little kernel of concern about that.

Then my SP3 died; got another from MS. During that time, I just happened to have an Asus T100 I used as a stop-gap device (had it between getting rid of my desktop and getting the SP3). Not bad for an Atom machine. Got the replacement SP3 set up and started using it...until it died, but I had just bought a SB and had everything put over on it before the SP3 died, so things continued, but I realized after a time that the SB offered things (at a large price) that I didn't need. The SP3 had already gone to my wife, and she's happy!

Decided to go with (after much hunting and searching) a ThinkPad Yoga 14 to replace the SB, which offered most of what the SB has, less the parts I didn't really use, but at half the cost. Returned the SB. The TP is working great; frankly, much more stable than the SB. Both laptops (SB & TP) are larger and heavier than the SP3, and after hauling both around, first one then the other, I started thinking that I needed a more mobile backup device, but I didn't want just a tablet with its limitations. Ended up going with the 4/128 S3, and it is great! But, the TP sets on my desk doing a good job as a desktop (taking up a fair amount of space on my desk), but now I don't need to fold it up and carry it anywhere. WAIT!! I could just get a desktop machine (more power etc) that would set at my desk and handle all that along with a little gaming now and then while I'd have my SP3 with everything on it and synced to take with me! Eureka!!!

Isn't it strange how the mind leads you along with what you think are original thoughts?? So, guess I'm going to get a desktop machine to stay at my desk that will handle everything there plus some gaming once in a while, but my little S3 (love the smaller size, less weight, silence) to take to the living room, or out into the big world. So, hunting for a good desktop, will put everything over on it, return the TP...with full realization that I've just went around in a big circle, only I think the S3 will fill the gap that was there that I didn't want to mess with...full circle, like I said.

OP
Telstar1948

Telstar1948

You're right...full circle will complete in another week or so. But, my thinking has come full circle, for me anyway :D

very expensive way to figure things out...just started working with the dock but feel the same...a higher powered desktop would really do the trick...

OP
Telstar1948

Telstar1948

Yes, but most of these things have been returnable, so not too great an expense. Some don't need a lot of horsepower at their desk, so the S3 with dock and all the goodies will provide the desktop and a mobile device both. Some require the horsepower so a powerful laptop/SP4 or desktop is the answer. That's all good; it just depends on what works best for you and what you like.

For me, this "full circle" thinking has shown me I need a fairly powerful desktop (mainly for gaming since everything else I do the S3 will handle), but I still want the mobile device to take away from my desk, wherever that is. The one additional thing for me is that I want a backup device to my desktop because of my business and personal life. That way, if the desktop dies, I can just plug up my S3 to everything and do my work until I can replace the desktop. This combo, for me, will work best I think. We'll see...the desktop is on its way so I'll start setting it up after it gets here and then return the TP Yoga 14 to Best Buy. Tell you what, this getting new devices, setting them up, trying them out, then realizing they aren't going to work for you, finding something else, setting it up et al, can be a bit tiring. Glad this outburst of tech trying is about over!

I sold a laptop that was still fairly new that in hindsight I think I should have kept but is was not a very large screen (14 inches)...I already bought another and returned fast...I think that although I can make due on most things with the S3 I see the need for a faster processor....its funny a few years ago the Atom processor would seem like lightenng speeds and now I am saying its just not enough and its not like my needs have changed too much over the years in terms of computing...