What's new

Full-screen game scaling issue (Civ: Beyond Earth)

DennyA

Having a technical issue with this in my Surface Pro 3.... I tend to run games at lower than the native 2160x1440 resolution as the text gets pretty tiny even when the unit can keep a decent frame rate at higher resol. When I run, say, Kerbal Space Program full-screen at a lower-resolution, the game goes full screen and fills the entire screen, interpolating the lower resolution to fill.

But Civilization: Beyond Earth instead runs letterboxed with the tiny text and units and large black borders around the smaller resolution.

Any ideas for a solution here?

No idea... But I tried running it at full resolution, and even then, the game looked like garbage compared to CIV V. It's like they reskinned it with inferior graphics. And touch doesn't work on it either - uninstalled 30 mins into my first game. Pretty big disappointment - would recommended the beta of Galactic CIV 3 that's on Steam right now as an alternative.

Maximus3D

I'm not aware of any other solution to this problem, you get the same issue with letterboxing on any game you run in lower resolution than the native highresolution the Surface normally runs at.

The Sims 4 also runs letterboxed and it's not really a big issue. However i agree that in Civilization: Beyond Earth the graphics and text at highest resolution is so tiny it's almost unplayable.

/ Magnus

joell85

You need to change your device resolution to the target resolution before starting the game. This will resolve the letter-boxing issue in a number of games.

grumpy

This is a known issue with DX11 and the Intel drivers. If the game allows you to disable DX11 features (or select an earlier version), then it should scale properly.

Kif

I do know CIV Games in general are usually a little rough around the edges at release. Hopefully Fireaxis with release a patch to fix the issue.

fifl

I havent had any issues, I am streaming through steam from my other computer. Works great!
The SP3 doesnt get hot at all and I get longer battery life

Last edited:

gdir

I just played the demo of Beyond Earth yesterday at native resolution, in fullscreen with medium details and 2x AA. I played it with TypeCover and mouse.

It worked well. For me it feels more like a mod or addon to Civ V than a new game. I think it's a little pricey, but I will probably end in buying it. I'm an easy target :rolleyes:

I looked at the Steampowered page of Galactic Civ 3. Although the game looks promising, I've read some reviews where people were telling that the current beta still lacks some essential features and is no fun to play at the moment. Can anybody comment on that?

fifl

By the way, the game is very playable only using touch and pen (pen is good for info when hovering)

Philtastic

This is a known issue with DX11 and the Intel drivers. If the game allows you to disable DX11 features (or select an earlier version), then it should scale properly.

This is the correct answer. Intel's drivers are just wonky when it comes to DX10+. Just set your desktop to whatever resolution you want to run the game at before you launch it and your game will fill the whole screen. Personally, I had to do this for Saints Row IV (a DX10 only game) and ArcheAge when I attempted to run it in DX11 mode (but not when ran in DX9 mode).