What's new

Function Keys

CrippsCorner

Noticed this today guys...

Outlook 2013 RT coming to Surface RT ? and more

Especially this part...

Fn + Caps: Locks F1-F12 into being function keys. Do it again and you get the charms, volume, Home, End, etc. if you are in the function lock mode, you can get the inverse options by pressing the Fn key, naturally

What I wonder though, is does this permanently lock them, or will this need to be done every time the Surface is rebooted?

jantilians

New Function Lock functionality

NEW - FN + Caps will enable function lock

Hey everyone.

I'm using a Surface RT with the TypeCover, and I've got a question about the function keys. Is their any way to make their primary functions F1 - F12 like they are on normal keyboards, rather than the functions Microsoft has assigned to them (Volume, play/pause, and charms bar functions). I tend to use the F# keys a lot for help, refresh, full screen, etc. a lot more than I use them to control volume or access the charms bar functions, and I'd rather not have to hold down FN for all that. Is there any way to change that? An FN Lock feature maybe?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

mbaker911

NEW - FN + Caps will enable function lock

WOW! I can't believe that is not documented somewhere where it is easily found. I spent all day trying to figure out what happened. There should be a quick pop-up notifying the user that the change happened when FN + Caps is pressed. Now I'll go back to Word and see if this setting fixed my problem with the cursor jumping around and a sidebar labeled "Research" opening up all the time.