What's new

Poll FYI - Do Not Reboot SP3 with TypeCover Folded Back

With the TypeCover Folded Back, Does your SP3 Reboot Successfully?

• Total voters

jonypx09

It seems that rebooting the Surface Pro 3 with the TypeCover folded back causes it to freeze at the boot screen. I've tried this on some of the models in an MS Store and the same problem persists. It eventually booted back to the desktop after about 5 minutes. I have found a few threads regarding this issue and I think it has something to do with the November firmware update. Hopefully, Microsoft is aware of this issue and releases another firmware update in the near future.

cdf3

Same here. I refreshed my Surface Pro because of this. I eventually realized what was causing the issue after stumbling upon a similar post.

OP
J

jonypx09

Same here. I refreshed my Surface Pro because of this. I eventually realized what was causing the issue after stumbling upon a similar post.

I'm surprised the January 15 update didn't address this problem. I guess I can only restart my Surface in the "laptop position", until this problem gets fixed.

PCAnyWhere

I just found this out this past week. I was sitting in a meeting and the screen wouldn't not come on. I had the type cover folded back so I could take some notes and check my schedule. I thought it was dead. the power button would not respond.

I then closed the cover and just left it for a while. I probably held the pwr button on again while it was closed to see if it would react during my meeting. Later when I checked it had restarted; but before this the screen was black.

I had chocked it up to just a software crash (windows and all) but I guess it had to do with the type cover.

OP
J

jonypx09

I just found this out this past week. I was sitting in a meeting and the screen wouldn't not come on. I had the type cover folded back so I could take some notes and check my schedule. I thought it was dead. the power button would not respond.

I then closed the cover and just left it for a while. I probably held the pwr button on again while it was closed to see if it would react during my meeting. Later when I checked it had restarted; but before this the screen was black.

I had chocked it up to just a software crash (windows and all) but I guess it had to do with the type cover.

In my case, it took about 5-7 minutes for the reboot to complete, and this problem never existed prior to the November update.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I'm confused. I tried rebooting with the keyboard cover closed, open, disconnected, folded in back, and across the room.
I had no problems.

There is a discussion about the issue here.

Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9926 on SP3 i7 512