What's new

Game on Surface 3

blakez1182

The surface 3 can play the sims 3, 4 ?
I'm wondering I should buy Surface 3 or wait to surface pro 4
I really like surface 3 but the Intel is atom so... I'm don't know it's good or it's bad..
I buy to play game, watch movie, and study !!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The surface 3 can play the sims 3, 4 ?
I'm wondering I should buy Surface 3 or wait to surface pro 4
I really like surface 3 but the Intel is atom so... I'm don't know it's good or it's bad..
I buy to play game, watch movie, and study !!

It really depends what your main priority is. The surface 3 will play movies just fine, and will handy normal study work equally well (normal being Microsoft office, PDF files etc). If gaming is a real requirement, then while I cannot speak for the Sims games, on the whole, its just a no. Buy the pro line if you really want to game. It might not pay gta 5 but the surface pro 3 can play a lot more than the 3. I just installed Ori and the blond forest on both, and it was perfectly playable on the surface pro 3, utterly unplayable on the surface 3.

Kriton

I play the following games on my surface and I am happy with them (getting very playable FPS):

- League of Legends (low settings withs 1440x900 resolution)
- Street Fighter IV (lowest settings on 1280 x 800 resolution)
- Civ 5 (lowest settings on default resolution 1920x1280 I think. Lower resolutions mess up the touch interface or I would have preferred them)

I am quite certain it will play sims 3 fine with no problems. All you might need to do is lower the visual settings to the bottom. Sims 4 might not be as playable though.

RémiM

Bringing this thread up: has anyone measured the temperature on the back of the S3 while playing PC games ?

Clintro

Mine gets a little warm when I play Solitaire so I imagine it will get pretty warm if your playing an processor intense game.

RémiM

Mine gets a little warm when I play Solitaire so I imagine it will get pretty warm if your playing an processor intense game.

Processor management is the real deal.

Very simple games sometimes use a lot of CPU because they are poorly coded. Kind of binary: 0% of CPU or 100% of CPU. Typically chess games. In easy mode, once the computer is doing a move, it uses 100% of the CPU. When it is your turn to play, the computer uses 0%. In hard/pro mode, the computer is always using 100% of the CPU, even if it is not his turn to play. Why ? Because it is "predicting" your next 1000000 possible moves and which strategy it has to use for each move, and bla bla bla. As a consequence, after 2 minutes, your device is hot like crazy, for no real reason.

But not all the games are like that. Some are very well coded and use the right amount of CPU only when needed.

Another "not perfectly" coded game is Microsoft Jigsaw Puzzle. Makes my device hot for no reason.

Musiker

Ive teested Wow in lightly populated areas and its absolutly possible to run it... But I would not show up for a progress raid :)... I don't have an active account.. So I've not ried anything real demanding on it.