What's new

Games on the Pro - Please post experiences here.

Nemesis296

Anyone play Starcraft II? Can it be played by touch?

I'm going to install Starcraft 2 this week, I'll post details when I have them unless someone beats me to the punch.

Would you be able to provide any more details on these steps? I am hoping to play some older games on my Pro so am likely to experience similar issues. Any descriptions would be most appreciated.

I'll try to do this later today as well, I don't remember it being too complicated to get it working.

vicbush

I installed Call of Duty 4 (a classic). On 1280x768 res and most graphic options turned down, it runs smooth and playable. Just don't try to play with the touch cover lol. Will try some other games when I get a chance.

mstrecke

I installed Civ V gods and kings expansion and it is touch enabled

Plays great on the surface!

Will be trying Diablo and Xcom shortly. will post results!

Margaret

Nemesis296

I want to try the Half Life 2/Portal/Borderlands myself but I haven't had a chance.

I'll try to install these later today and report back with results. I have all of these on Steam (including Portal 2). It will be interesting to see if it supports touch-screen...

bosamar

Just spent 3 hours downloading and installed on surface pro it can confirm that it works. Had trouble logging on it did't want to recognize keyboard but opened and closed virtual keyboard and then the pyhsical keyboard worked? I put the game on xd card class 10 64 gb to not fill my hd.

How's it play on the 10.6 screen? Do you think it's enjoyable?

vook

I have some issues getting games to display properly and I was hoping someone could help me out. I installed Wizardry Online and when it starts up the game appears in the center of the screen with a black border around it. Only about a quarter of the actual game displays in the center of the screen. Alt+Enter does nothing. When I go into desktop mode and reduce the resolution, I get that black border around the screen. Any ideas?

Update: The default sizing is 150%. By reducing it to 100% I am now able to see the entire picture when the game starts but there is still a black border around it, it does not maximize to utilize the full screen.

Had the same problem with Wizardry Online. You can just right-click the icon, go to properties, compatibility tab, and "Disable DPI Scaling" for the individual game, so you can keep your scaling on the desktop. There is a resolution option in the game, it defaults to 1024x768 which is why you are getting black borders.

marcux

I have some issues getting games to display properly and I was hoping someone could help me out. I installed Wizardry Online and when it starts up the game appears in the center of the screen with a black border around it. Only about a quarter of the actual game displays in the center of the screen. Alt+Enter does nothing. When I go into desktop mode and reduce the resolution, I get that black border around the screen. Any ideas?

Update: The default sizing is 150%. By reducing it to 100% I am now able to see the entire picture when the game starts but there is still a black border around it, it does not maximize to utilize the full screen.

I am having the exact same issue, when I tune the resolution down to somthing other than 1920x1080 it will center the resolution on the screen with the black bars, and not expand to the whole screen, no scaling at all. does anyone else's scale correctly?

UPDATE: Figured it out, if you press f7, and then select pc screen only display lower resolutions will not fill LCD, if you use duplicate the second screen it will expand to fill lcd.

Last edited:

plasm0

I wanted to test out a graphics intensive game on the SPro... DmC: Devil May Cry

it works!... but had to drop the rez to 1280x768 to keep things fairly smooth.

Here's a quick vid clip of some gameplay.... (sorry i forgot to turn up the volume, so it's a little low)

[video=youtube;sr4aCxjqOKo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr4aCxjqOKo&list=UU4DVQkph_ow2vhUX6hE7ZeA&index=1[/video]

Nemesis296

Interesting thread. I'd be interested in knowing how the Surface Pro can handle Skyrim and Battlefield 3.

Probably not too well. Certainly not on high settings I wouldn't think. If I get the opportunity to install Skyrim I will post my results here. I'm currently installing StarCraft 2, Portal and Half-Life 2.