What's new

Games on the Pro - Please post experiences here.

rambler358

Probably not too well. Certainly not on high settings I wouldn't think. If I get the opportunity to install Skyrim I will post my results here. I'm currently installing StarCraft 2, Portal and Half-Life 2.
I wouldn't expect high settings. In fact, I'd be happy with low settings at 720p resolution if the minimum frame rate was > 30 FPS.

Nemesis296

Would you be able to provide any more details on these steps? I am hoping to play some older games on my Pro so am likely to experience similar issues. Any descriptions would be most appreciated.

Ok, here are some more in-depth steps. Locate the EXE which launches the game and right-click. Choose "Troubleshoot Compatibility". When prompted, choose "Troubleshoot program". Then check the box for what problem you are having. For example, I selected "The program opens but doesn't display correctly." On the next screen I chose the default for the large-scale fonts, where it will then scale the DPI when running the EXE.

Note: I have done this for World of Warcraft and now Portal and Half-Life 2. It seems to correct any display issues that were occurring prior to this. I don't know if there is a way to have all apps do this by default, but I'm going to keep testing out other games to see if it's something that needs to be set rather consistently.

Edit: I've confirmed that Half-Life 2 and Portal will run pretty smoothly on the Pro :) This is pretty awesome news.

Last edited:

PervySage

Steam and Modern Warfare 2 work beautifully and is silky fast.

Problem
- the above statement is based on all settings pretty much maxed out but with 640x480 resolution, in windowed mode (not full screen), with the on screen keyboard on the bottom half of the screen

- shooting, throwing, proning all work great
- mouse look with touching NO
- and you can't move, if you hold down keys on the on-screen keyboard, you get options for capital/lower case W, A, S, D so you can't move at all

S nami bog jutsu,
gg

Tech707

Ok, here are some more in-depth steps. Locate the EXE which launches the game and right-click. Choose "Troubleshoot Compatibility". When prompted, choose "Troubleshoot program". Then check the box for what problem you are having. For example, I selected "The program opens but doesn't display correctly." On the next screen I chose the default for the large-scale fonts, where it will then scale the DPI when running the EXE.

Note: I have done this for World of Warcraft and now Portal and Half-Life 2. It seems to correct any display issues that were occurring prior to this. I don't know if there is a way to have all apps do this by default, but I'm going to keep testing out other games to see if it's something that needs to be set rather consistently.

Edit: I've confirmed that Half-Life 2 and Portal will run pretty smoothly on the Pro :) This is pretty awesome news.
What are you using to play? The keyboard? Please post an update once you have got Starcraft 2 up and going. If you can please try to see if the pen works instead of using the mouse.

OnTheSurface

My only concern with Skyrim is the usage of memory and the HD4000 GPU. It's more than capable, but the systems that I have run it on have all had fast memory and at least 8GBs of it.

If 1024MB of the memory are being used for the GPU, I would be worried about stability.

I'm sure Skyrim will run just fine, but at what settings and cost of battery life? I don't know.

Ashles

Thanks - will try this.

Nemesis296

i am having an issue with starcraft 2 where the cursor doesn't seem to move.

I'm seeing the same issue. The stylus *does* work, but I'm not sure why the cursor doesn't appear to move. I'm also dealing with a missing DLL after attempting to troubleshoot additional compatibility which I probably will have to re-install the game for. I guess StarCraft 2 doesn't support Windows 8?

Nemesis296

So I figured out how to fix the mouse cursor issue in StarCraft 2. Set the graphics settings to run in Windowed (Fullscreen) mode and it works. Apparently this is a known issue with Windows 7 64-bit and higher and I guess Blizzard never decided to fix it. Scaling the fonts and running it in windowed full screen mode works beautifully. It may only run on Low settings, but hey, I can play StarCraft 2 on my tablet with touchscreen and pretty decent looking graphics.

Tech707

So I figured out how to fix the mouse cursor issue in StarCraft 2. Set the graphics settings to run in Windowed (Fullscreen) mode and it works. Apparently this is a known issue with Windows 7 64-bit and higher and I guess Blizzard never decided to fix it. Scaling the fonts and running it in windowed full screen mode works beautifully. It may only run on Low settings, but hey, I can play StarCraft 2 on my tablet with touchscreen and pretty decent looking graphics.

Awesome thanks for the update. I was thinking of buying a bluetooth mouse to play, but if the stylus/touch works that would be easier.