What's new

Games on the Pro - Please post experiences here.

mrasmussen

How about xbox controllers and some of these games? The first person and racing games would be nice with a controller.

parabolee

I can confirm that ePSXe and several PS1 games work without a hitch. I created the ISO from the original games to test, and so far Metal Gear and Vagrant Story play great on it. I have the PS3 controller setup via Bluetooth.

I have installed the newest version of PCSX as well, but I have to create an ISO of a game to test it, so far the emulator runs without issue, though.

I now have NES, SNES, PSX and PS2 setup. This is turning out to be a sweet on the go vintage gaming machine!

How did you get the PS3 controller to work? Is it a simply a case of using MotionJoy? I knew you could do this with USB but not Bluetooth. That's awesome!

I have tried the following games with great results -

Battle For Wesnoth - Great turn based strategy game. And FREE! Works well with touch controls!

Trine - Ran at 720p and turned off anti-aliasing and z Sync. Runs very nice.

To The Moon - Retro point and click adventure. Works well with touch.

Resonance - Another retro point and click. Needs to be run in a window if you want to use touch or stylus controls. Works fine full screen with mouse/touchpad.

Syndicate - Needs a mouse or touchpad to play.

Grim Fandango - Runs great with the Residual emulator. Needs a keyboard or gamepad to be played though.

Going to try Warface Beta and Star Wars Old Republic soon (waiting for my SD on the later).

Lumberjack

Heya :)

I got my Surface Pro in no small part cuz I was excited to have certain games from my past with me on the go. Currently I've installed Ultima 4 through 7.5 from GOG.com. Only issue so far for 7 and 7.5 is that the pointer in the game can get off-sync from where you put the pen down. Hard to explain but playable still.

As well, Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition works well for me in Windowed mode (In full screen the game size is bigger than the screen size and I can only see 2/3 of it). Oddly, the director of the BG:EE project can't get it running on his own Surface Pro but I had no problems! As it's a very left click/right click/drag game, the stylus works really well to play it.

And Dragon Age: Origins runs well, of course not on full settings. The only issue I have with this is that when you are using the pen to select buttons, you need to hold steady for a full second, not just a tap. Choosing your points to move to in the game and selecting objects/people/monsters is fine, it's just buttons! Still very playable for me though.

Next I'd like to try NeverWinter Nights 2!

parabolee

Heya :)

I got my Surface Pro in no small part cuz I was excited to have certain games from my past with me on the go. Currently I've installed Ultima 4 through 7.5 from GOG.com. Only issue so far for 7 and 7.5 is that the pointer in the game can get off-sync from where you put the pen down. Hard to explain but playable still.

As well, Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition works well for me in Windowed mode (In full screen the game size is bigger than the screen size and I can only see 2/3 of it). Oddly, the director of the BG:EE project can't get it running on his own Surface Pro but I had no problems! As it's a very left click/right click/drag game, the stylus works really well to play it.

And Dragon Age: Origins runs well, of course not on full settings. The only issue I have with this is that when you are using the pen to select buttons, you need to hold steady for a full second, not just a tap. Choosing your points to move to in the game and selecting objects/people/monsters is fine, it's just buttons! Still very playable for me though.

Next I'd like to try NeverWinter Nights 2!

I think this will fix most of the issues you describe -

Right click on your executable > Properties > Compatibility > Disable scaling on high DPI settings

Some issues are caused by the Surface having the scaling set to 150%. Settign it to 100% fixes it too, but make the desktop hard to use with everything being so small.

Just tried the Warface Beta (Crytek's new F2P FPS). Runs GREAT! Turned the resolution to 1600x900 and with anti-aliasing and z sync turned off it ran silky smooth! Very impressed with this as a portable gaming system.

Of course all the OnLive games run great on it too. With the screen size and resolution the cloud gaming looks crisp and sharp. Great support for the 360 controller in all those games.

From OnLive I tried -

LA Noire
Saints Row the Third
Dues Ex Human Revolution

All looked great on the Surface Pro. Also while OnLive has the downside of some small input lag, it has the upside of not taking up any space on your drive for all these games!

kingbobyjr

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition works well for me in Windowed mode (In full screen the game size is bigger than the screen size and I can only see 2/3 of it). Oddly, the director of the BG:EE project can't get it running on his own Surface Pro but I had no problems! As it's a very left click/right click/drag game, the stylus works really well to play it.

Lumberjack...I had the same issue with Baldur's Gate (game bigger than the screen size). Here is what I did to get it to work. First download the latest Intel HD4000 driver from Intel and install them. The latest driver is 9.17.10.2392.

I made a backup of the and edited the Baldur.ini in the your Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition folder and added to INSERT INTO options ROWS ( section near the top of the .INI the following entry 'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',

Make sure you enter everything bolded above.

One last thing I did, and this will help with many games, in the Compatibility section of the .EXE of the game, and check off Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.

Full screen than ran perfectly for me.

Good luck and have fun!!!

slvrdrgn123

How did you get the PS3 controller to work? Is it a simply a case of using MotionJoy? I knew you could do this with USB but not Bluetooth. That's awesome!

I have tried the following games with great results -

Battle For Wesnoth - Great turn based strategy game. And FREE! Works well with touch controls!

Trine - Ran at 720p and turned off anti-aliasing and z Sync. Runs very nice.

To The Moon - Retro point and click adventure. Works well with touch.

Resonance - Another retro point and click. Needs to be run in a window if you want to use touch or stylus controls. Works fine full screen with mouse/touchpad.

Syndicate - Needs a mouse or touchpad to play.

Grim Fandango - Runs great with the Residual emulator. Needs a keyboard or gamepad to be played though.

Going to try Warface Beta and Star Wars Old Republic soon (waiting for my SD on the later).
I'd like to know this too. Would be great to get the PS3 controller set up for this since I never use it at home.

crazybear

Can you install games to your SD card, and if so, do they play well from the SD card? I figure that you can, but not sure how well it works. The reason I ask is because my wife really wants me to install guild wars 2, but I hate the thought of losing 25GB just to it... But if I could install it to an SD, then there wouldn't be a problem.

vook

Can you install games to your SD card, and if so, do they play well from the SD card? I figure that you can, but not sure how well it works. The reason I ask is because my wife really wants me to install guild wars 2, but I hate the thought of losing 25GB just to it... But if I could install it to an SD, then there wouldn't be a problem.

SD card is limited by a factor known as class. Essentially it is the speed which the card can run at. Higher class corresponds to faster speed. Performane will vary by game. Aim for the highest class you can afford (try class 10). Amazon and most good sites let you select class as a search option. Imo the best choice is Kingston brand class 10, 64 gb

You can install games to SD. For ease of use look into "mounting sd card in a windows folder"

Last edited: