What's new

Garmin Basecamp

kltk1

Hello everyone. Just ordered a Surface 3 (Atom) and looking forward to receiving it. That being said, I was wondering if anyone here is using the Garmin Basecamp mapping program with their Surface? If so, any insights on how it works with the Surface 3, or Surface 3 Pro?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I use BaseCamp on a Surface Pro 3, but not for any realtime tracking. I map parcels of land from waypoints. BaseCamp respects the elevation (X,Y,Z) and allows me to view the parcel in 3D.

The Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3 do not have built-in GPS. And serial (USB / Bluetooth) GPS devices are not compatible with BaseCamp, in case you are not aware.

By the way, Windows 10 will be available to you free around July 29. With Windows 10, you can access maps (2D) without any Internet connection. I find this very handy.

OP
K

kltk1

Yeah, I wasn't planning on using the Surface as a GPS, but instead to build routes and transfer them to a Zumo 665. There's a lot of data associated with the BC program and was wondering what response time is like on the Surface.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Response is great on the SP3. The touch screen makes the software very handy to use.

If you want to add GPS to your S3, I suggest the Bluetooth GPS QSTARZ 818XT
Works great on my SP3, and should be good on your S3.

419+s+WAx2L.jpg

buers

I use Garmin Basecamp on Surface Pro 3 for planning cycling tours. It works, but unfortunately it doesn't look too good. I.e. text looks well in the navigation and control elements, but seems blurry inside the map. The map itself looks worse than on a Dell Notebook with Full HD resolution. Unfortunately, it even doesn't look well on an external monitor (1920x1200), while using the same monitor with the Dell notebook, the maps look excellent. (I use the external monitor as primary display without screen extension).

Using the touchpad on the type cover does not feel too comfortable for navigating inside the map, neither does the touchscreen. Moving or zooming the map works well, but not exact positioning of routes, waypoints. To use the program efficiently, I have to take a mouse.

On the positive side: even the graphical control elements display large enough for touch screen operation. For my usage, processor/graphics speed of the i5 SP3 is more than sufficient. However, I never use the 3D display of Basecamp, so I cannot judge, how that works.

OP
K

kltk1

That's very odd that the display maps are blurry.
Any chance there's a setting that's not right?

rambler358

I suspect there might be some lag with the Surface 3 when zooming and such. Wouldn't expect any issue with the SP3 though.

buers

I believe, I have set it up correctly. In Basecamp I have set diplay quality to highest (I have a German version, so not sure, what the settings are called in the English version).

It looks to me like one of those high dpi scaling issues with certain desktop programs. There are dozens of threads in this forum about it.

I have set the display to "larger" on the surface (otherwise things are too small for me).

For the external monitor, I have set the display to (normal) 100%. I have to log out and log in again, to get a decent display on the external monitor anyway. Still basecamp looks signifcantly worse on this same monitor and the same resolution, than when using a different computer.

I use OSM based maps only, no original Garmin maps. Mainly I use openfietmaps. No idea, whether this has any influence. Somehow the display doesn't look vector based rendered at the correct resolution but rather like a pixel based image enlarged. (But certainly OSM maps are vector based as well, however they might not use the optimal technique).

With all this said, I am still happy to use Basecamp on the surface. The best program I found for my purpose.

Sharpcolorado, which mapping programs or routing sw are compliant with the surface when using an external GPS device (i.e. a smart phone with some gps mouse app)?

OP
K

kltk1

Received the Surface 3 yesterday and successfully loaded up Basecamp and the Garmin Express programs. No issues to report with the install. Early indications are that the Basecamp program works fine on the Surface 3. I successfully created a small map/route without any notable performance issues to speak of. I have my map detail set to the "highest" setting and the details are as good as anything else I've used Basecamp on. Routing was good and moving around the map was fine. As this is the only program I have loaded at this time I can't speak to being able to multitask. Time will tell on that. As for now, if you're on the fence and Basecamp is a consideration I'd say go for it. I'll try to update this space from time to time with my findings going forward.