What's new

generally unsure about Surface...

tootie

I was lucky enough to receive a Surface RT from work before Christmas and am still making up my mind about it to be honest. This is the first tablet I've owned so loving the ease of use and the portability. However I listen to all my music through spotify premium and movies from lovefilm/iplayer using the offline function and neither of these seem possible. How are others getting around this? Are there options or do I just need to wait to see if spotify and iplayer update their apps..... at the moment my time with the Surface has just convinced me that I want to buy an iPad or perhaps the kindle fire if I'm feeling cash strapped post Christmas!!

TeknoBlast

I never used Spotified, I've alwayed used iHeartRadio for any kind of music or talk radio entertainment. As for movies, I usually download them, convert them, and then load them up to the Surface. With this, I've been very happy. As for my iPad, it just sits there in a box under my desk.

Because of two or three apps that are not available or do not work on the Surface will make or break in liking the Surface, really?

I came from an iPad and since owning the Surface, I never looked back.

compnovo

I was lucky enough to receive a Surface RT from work before Christmas and am still making up my mind about it to be honest. This is the first tablet I've owned so loving the ease of use and the portability. However I listen to all my music through spotify premium and movies from lovefilm/iplayer using the offline function and neither of these seem possible. How are others getting around this? Are there options or do I just need to wait to see if spotify and iplayer update their apps..... at the moment my time with the Surface has just convinced me that I want to buy an iPad or perhaps the kindle fire if I'm feeling cash strapped post Christmas!!

I use the Netflix app rather than lovefilm, which I'm not sure is available in the US, so the Surface gives me my movie fix. Your other apps hint that you're accustomed to working with Apple devices, so the iPad may do a better job of meeting your content consumption needs (assuming they have a lovefilm app). IMO the iPad and Surface are both high quality devices so it's going to boil down to personal preference.

gpstrucker

For movies I pretty much watch ripped DVDs and my music is either CD rips or iHeartRadio. I would imagine that the apps you normally use will eventually show up in the Windows 8 app store, but if they are really that important to you perhaps an iPad may be a better choice for you. Personally, my iPad and my assorted Android tablets have been feeling neglected since I got the Surface.

Series7man

I never used Spotified, I've alwayed used iHeartRadio for any kind of music or talk radio entertainment. As for movies, I usually download them, convert them, and then load them up to the Surface. With this, I've been very happy. As for my iPad, it just sits there in a box under my desk.

Because of two or three apps that are not available or do not work on the Surface will make or break in liking the Surface, really?

I came from an iPad and since owning the Surface, I never looked back.

What are the settings that you find the best when converting movies to upload to the Surface. I use Handbrake to convert movies for my wife's iPad (yes...she is an Applebot) and Handbrake has built in settings for the iPad as well as other devices but nothing for the Surface yet (I can make a Custom setting if needed). I have not purchased a Surface yet but plan on doing it soon. Any advice on conversion settings would be great.:cool2:

compnovo

What are the settings that you find the best when converting movies to upload to the Surface. I use Handbrake to convert movies for my wife's iPad (yes...she is an Applebot) and Handbrake has built in settings for the iPad as well as other devices but nothing for the Surface yet (I can make a Custom setting if needed). I have not purchased a Surface yet but plan on doing it soon. Any advice on conversion settings would be great.:cool2:

Just use the default Handbrake settings, your movies will look great on the Surface. I've been using Multimedia 8 for audio and video playback and it's an excellent (free!) app.

I previously used an iPad and since owning the Surface, I have not turned the ipad on.The Surface has actually replaced the iPad and a notebook for travel use. I'm very happy with my choice.

ZachBui

I agree as well, I got a new ipad for christmas but the only use I have for it is an extra device for media. iOS does have the good games that I play though, so I usually use my iPad for gaming mostly.

gpstrucker

I use the High End preset as I also watch them on my laptop and don't want to make two copies. They play great on the Surface.