What's new

Generic Surface wall chargers

ssummer

Anyone try those generic Surface wall chargers on Ebay and/or Amazon? They have some for $0.99 and up. I am looking for a backup travel charger for my SP2 and from what I've read, the Surface charger should work (I know it won't be a quick charge if any but as long as I can run it plugged in it should be fine for my needs). $40 for a geniune one is just too much...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
This is not elegant, but it is the perfect (cheap) and versatile travel adapter solution for me. With this pair for under $20, I can charge in an airport, hotel room, or rental car.

eForCity 221132 AC/DC Power Converter Charger Adapter 110V to 12V
and
Sikai Car Charger Cigarette Lighter Adapter for Microsoft Surface Tablet PC / Surface RT

surface_car_charger.jpg

car_wall_charger.jpg

As an alternative, you can change the wall adapter to a slightly larger unit with two USB ports, allowing for charging of most of your small portable devices.

AC Wall to DC Car and Dual USB Charger Converter - Includes 2 USB Ports and 1 12V Cigarette Lighter Port Ideal for Charging GPS, Phones, and More While at Home]

Wall_Charger_with_USB.jpg

Finally, if you want an extension cord so you can reach those poorly-paced hotel room outlets:

Bell 22-5-05103-8 12V 10' Extension Cord

12v_extension.jpg

Last edited:
OP
S

ssummer

Thanks for the link. Are you using this for an SP1/SP2? I'm still a bit hesitant though as the reviews don't seem that good...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the link. Are you using this for an SP1/SP2? I'm still a bit hesitant though as the reviews don't seem that good...

Using it for a SP2. Used to own a SP, and used it with that, too.

Seems like either reviews were deliberately faked in mid 2013, or the product has been redesigned. I have one in my truck, and one in the car. Now, when I need a charge, I can plug in. I use WiFi through my iPhone hotspot, or at a restaurant or cafe, when traveling.

Good thing the Surface is 12V. Makes it very convenient to have a charger this lightweight - no "brick". Definitely an accessory to have.

This is a must-have among my accessories:

sp2_stuff.JPG

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
What in the world do you need 3 keyboards, 3 mice, and 2 docking stations for?!? I assume you are not lugging all of that around everywhere...

Yeah, I concede that looks creepy.
I just happened to have them all in one place.

I keep some at work, at home, and in a travel bag. Travel comes suddenly sometimes. Takes away lots of stress. If I can just grab my Surface, (usually in the Nixon case), I know everything else is ready.