What's new

Get or not to get warranty!

rperfetti

Didn't read all these posts but here's my take on insurance for these kinds of things. Never buy it. Ever. Insurance is a profit center for companies simply because most of the people who buy it won't need it. That works to your advantage just like it does for the companies selling the insurance. If you never purchase it for that new computer, TV, microwave, fridge, electric toothbrush, etc, etc, etc you will at some point need it. However, the money you've saved over the years by never purchasing it allows you to throw your broken item in the trash when it breaks, buy a new item and still be many thousands of dollars ahead. In the end you'll be way ahead by passing on insurance. Wouldn't do that on a three times your yearly income home because that could break you but a one paycheck gizmo, pass.

malberttoo

Didn't read all these posts but here's my take on insurance for these kinds of things. Never buy it. Ever. Insurance is a profit center for companies simply because most of the people who buy it won't need it. That works to your advantage just like it does for the companies selling the insurance. If you never purchase it for that new computer, TV, microwave, fridge, electric toothbrush, etc, etc, etc you will at some point need it. However, the money you've saved over the years by never purchasing it allows you to throw your broken item in the trash when it breaks, buy a new item and still be many thousands of dollars ahead. In the end you'll be way ahead by passing on insurance. Wouldn't do that on a three times your yearly income home because that could break you but a one paycheck gizmo, pass.

That's just not realistic. Bare minimum, you're paying $900 for a Surface Pro 4. If you break it, that's it game over. You want a new one, cough up another $900. OR you could pay $1050 for the thing (adding on Microsoft Complete) and if you break it, $49 gets you into a new one.

So I completely disagree with you saying "never buy it, ever". In the case of a Surface and Microsoft Complete, I recommend "buy it", every single time.

Kcnewf

Due to the inability to repair these tablets, it is best to get one.

I learned this the hard way. 18 months after purchase, my SP2 battery was shot and I has a small "fire" / "sparking" event at the point where the charger connects.

I sure wished that I had the warranty as o have been waiting 7 months - no tablet - for the arrival of the SP4.

I will get a warranty this time.