What's new

Get Surface Pro 4 or wait for Surface Pro 5 or iPad Pro

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It's appealing but it only has 128 memory and it's pretty slow. Wouldn't iPad Pro be better?
Not if you want to run PC Software....I personally would never use an iPad. I use the SP4 as my Ultrabook and S3 as my companion.

Philtastic

It's appealing but it only has 128 memory and it's pretty slow. Wouldn't iPad Pro be better?

I do find it amusing that you berate the Surface 3's 128 GB SSD while still considering the iPad Pro which maxes out at 128 GB....

See the following link for some benchmarks of the iPad Pro compared to other tablets and ultrabooks including the Surface 3, SP3 Core i5, SP4 Core i5 & Surface Book Core i7:
Tested: Why the iPad Pro really isn't as fast a laptop

The iPad Pro is only ~35% faster than the "slow" Surface 3 while the Surface Pro 3 & 4's Core i5 are about 60% faster than the iPad Pro and can have a larger SSD and runs full desktop software.
In my opinion, the choice is rather clear which are the better machines. To be fair to Apple, the pen of the iPad Pro is probably better given that it detects the angle of the pen.

Last edited:
I think this is probably an area where you could get away with either device and you have to consider the greater of two evils. I.e. is battery life more important than some other aspect you get with the SP4. You've also specified note taking but I think you need to consider the outcome of the notes. I.e. what do you do with them and where will they be stored.

From a stylus perspective, the latency is definitely better on the iPad Pro over the SP4 but for handwriting both will work so it's not that one is unusuable. I find the Pencil feels more natural but that's subjective. Ignore the issues of it breaking off when plugged in, you can still charge from the cable and the plug in issue is only really for situations where your battery runs flat in a meeting or on a plane.

Things I would also consider is what application you intend using it for. For example, if it's OneNote, the desktop version of OneNote on the SP4 is vastly superior to the iPad Pro version. The IPP version may get better in time, but right now it isn't which is more of a MS issue with how they have developed it than an Apple issue.

Things missing from it are:

• No conversion to text option. If you use Office 365, you can still search the handwriting on the IPP, but you don't have the capability to convert from handwriting to text if you want to convert handwriting to text for distributing minutes of a meeting.
  • No templates. OneNote for Desktop allows you to create templates for minutes of meetings, workshops etc
  • There is no option to scratch back and forth to delete something (as if you would to scratch something out on a page) which I find is fairly critical for handwriting as it helps speed things up.
  • Handwriting has lag on the OneNote IPP version vs other apps (more of a MS issue than Apple issue because other non-Apple apps don't have this issue).
If OneNote is not part of your core workflow, then there are other IPP apps (like Notes Plus) that will do what you want, which is why I said you need to consider not just what you are using it for, but what apps you intend using it with. If you are using OneNote regularly, then you need to consider which device is better and for me, the SP4 is better with OneNote or requires work arounds. For example, if you wanted to convert notes to minutes, you would probably have to use something like the Notes Plus app, convert to test and paste it into OneNote which may not be a palatable option.

There are other small things to consider. For example, if you travel a lot on planes that don't have power adapters, the iPad Pro may suit better because planes still have USB ports which do charge although I haven't tested with an IPP to know whether the charge is sufficient for the size device. It does work fine on an iPhone.

If battery is key, and functionality secondary, I would go iPad Pro.

If OneNote functionality is key and battery life is secondary, I would go SP4

If both are critical, I would get a trial of both devices and give back the device that doesn't work as well for you. You may find that things you thought were important aren't and things you thought were important aren't.

As I said, it's the greater of two evils to consider.

mva5580

It really just depends on what you want to do with the device, and what your expectations are of its use/reliability.

If your N-E-E-D above all else is a full PC with Windows programs/functionality, then you get a Surface Pro. If that is more of a "Well it would be nice, but it's not a necessity" thing and an iPad Pro can do all of the things you want it to do, then you should get an iPad.

It's obviously not the majority opinion here but an iPad works, is reliable, and does not have the battery life-type issues that a Surface Pro has.

I tried the Surface Pro 4 for a little while, and it just didn't make me happy. Yes it's great that you have a very compact full PC in a tablet form whenever you need it but like I said if that is not a NEED for you, then I think there is just more of a chance of becoming frustrated with the SP.

An iPad Pro costs very similar to a SP and is overall less functional, yes. But in my experience of needs/use, I've happily traded that extra functionality for a device that's just easier to use and works better for what I want it for.

But again if you need a portable PC, I understand. Get a Surface Pro. It just has issues you have to accept.

jrioux

One of my main purpose for the tablet is do note taking and reading without having to recharge during the day. Based on the reviews, SP4 can't last 7 hrs (including sleep+ serious work). So it completely fall out of requirement.
If you only want to read (documents/websites?) and take notes, why do you need a large, powerful and heavy machine? I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab E that would work fine for that. The Tab E has a HUGE battery (7300 mAh), so it lasts long. If you need a keyboard, an ASUS or iPad Air 2 should work fine, too.

robertcan

I own the SP4 and the iPad Pro. Both are wonderful machines. The iPad has been a flawless experience. Not a single complaint from me. The SP4 has not been a smooth experience, but I'm happy I stuck with it through all the software patches. Its improved, but still not as good, in my my opinion, to the iPad Pro...BUT, and it's a big BUT...the Sp4 offers more functionality operating a full OS as opposed to the more limited iPad Pro iOS. I'm heavily in the Apple camp, but the SP4 is the first machine to get me to crossover to Windows. So for me, both are viable machines. The Sp4 simply offers more functionality for the same investment.

radji

OP: Like in all the previous replies, it will depend on your usage. One-on-one the iPad Pro and SP4 will come very close in hardware comparison. There are big differences.

iPad Pro run iOS, a mobile OS (advantage, optimization/speed). SP4 runs the full Windows 10 OS (advantage, versatility).

The iPad Pro's processor is optimized for the device and for mobile use in general. SP4 uses Gen 6 Core-i CPUs that aren't as attuned to the devices as the A9X's are to the iPad Pro.

The SP4 gives option of expandable memory that can be virtually unlimited, if you have enough microSD cards. :D

For me, it was a no brainer. The iOS version of OneNote can't import a large PDF. The desktop version of OneNote on Windows 10 can. That allows me to import my eTextbook into OneNote as a printout and mark it up as a notebook. No need to use the Kindle app or anything else.

If all your doing is reading and marking up small pdfs, then it's your choice. iPad Pro or SP4. If your annotating large volume pdfs or ePUBs, then you will need to utilize the desktop version of OneNote. And that means the SP4.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty much if you believe your use case can use a mobile solution using a phone OS and mobile Apps then the SP4 and SB are more machine than you need.

If you need desktop power computing is a tablet the Surface Line is really the best solution on the market.

Zkyevolved

I've really been enjoying this thread! And everyone has been so polite and respectful. I'd like to give everyone a "kudos" hehe.

Also, OP: in which direction did you go? As everyone has said, both devices are good devices... It's not like one is horrible and the other is great. It really depends on your usage.

Telstar1948

OP: I feel compelled to repeat jnjroach's comment, the Surface 3, while topping out at 4/128 GB is an excellent tool for the use you described in your post. Battery life is very good, full OS, highly portable, cool, silent, nice type cover, real file system, universal ports, can drive a nice external monitor if needed...the list goes on. With a mSD card, you can store nearly anything you want while being immediately accessible. Throw in OneDrive with Office 365, or without Office 365, you have, I think, one of the most versatile members of the Surface line.

bluegrass

Cost was not mentioned in your original question so I assume cost is not a big factor. I would go with the SP4 I7-256-8. You say you need it to last your at least 8 hours. Almost certainly during some of the 8 hours, the computer will be sleeping or hibernating so I bet you it will last you 8 hours for note taking and reading some documents. Watching lots of videos is where you'll use up the battery. Go for it & test your typical usage very heavily the first week and if it doesn't live up to your requirement, take it back to the store.

kristalsoldier

One of my main purpose for the tablet is do note taking and reading without having to recharge during the day. Based on the reviews, SP4 can't last 7 hrs (including sleep+ serious work). So it completely fall out of requirement.

How much improvement do you guys think future firmware update will bring?

I use my Surface 3 in exactly this way. Additionally, I do use it for Netflix and movies etc.

But my primary use is for reading - PDFs and ePUBs. For PDF, you can use Drawboard (paid app), Xodo, Foxit Mobile Pro, among others. For ePUBs, I use Book Viser (paid app) and Book Bazaar (free version). There is also Freda+.

I also use it to take notes and to make annotations - I do both using the Pen and it works wonderfully when combined with OneNote.

On an average, I get about 6-8 hours on my S3. I am quite sure under W 8.1, the battery life was a bit better. One peeve: The charging port is a micro-USB port and charging the device takes too damn long!

Btw, I do own a SP3 with Type Cover 4 and the new Pen (I ordered these separately from Amazon), but I do not own a Type Cover for the S3. I deliberately avoided doing so. Because, at the end of the day, the S3 was to replace my iPad Air as a pure tablet, which is did and still continues to!