What's new

Get the new Type Cover or wait on the Power Cover?

mitchellvii

The power cover seems quite appealing for obvious reasons but that thing is going to be a big thick brick. Adds over a 1/2 pound and twice as thick as the new type cover. Not sure if I should just get the new type cover or wait on the power cover to see what it's like in person.

Also, there is a 50/50 chance I won't even own this tablet by Christmas so buying anything would be a waste.

Oh well, what are other folks gonna do?

kristalsoldier

Though I have RT (1st Gen - so the Power cover will not work), I am getting the new Type Cover (purple). I want the backlit key capability. Of course, MS needs to get on with the program and explicitly mention when they are going to have it on sale in my neck of the woods.

Edit: And, aside from the backlit keys, I believe the new Type cover is also a bit firmer/ more rigid than the original one, which would probably be a blessing!

Last edited:

Dim-Ize

I've opted for the Type Cover 2 as from the early images - the Power Cover battery extension appears a little bloated. to me Moreover, I think 6-7 hours is great for my needs.

Now - if the SP1 users could get the battery, ala you post of "ghetto SP2" in another thread, that would be a benefit.

For me, I prefer the backlit keys and size gain of the Type Cover 2.

demandarin

I will end up getting new power cover. I already own a type cover. I'll likely give it to my woman with her RT once I get power cover. I want the extra natter life the power cover brings.

D

Deleted member 10837

149bk75.jpg

Surface Pro 2 with the Power Cover will weigh 3.146 pounds and be 0.911" thick. Assuming a base use time of 3.5 hours and power saving of 20% from Haswell plus 30Wh extension which is 71% of the Surface 42Wh, you would get 7 hours 12 minutes or 205%.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

149bk75.jpg

Surface Pro 2 with the Power Cover will weigh 3.146 pounds and be 0.911" thick. Assuming a base use time of 3.5 hours and power saving of 20% from Haswell plus 30Wh extension which is 71% of the Surface 42Wh, you would get 7 hours 12 minutes or 205%.

I think it is longer than that but damn, that's a brick. Also why is it taking until 2014 to introduce it? It's just a freakin battery. By waiting until 2014 they are cannibalizing their holiday type cover sales for those who want to compare before buying.

Nuspieds

I bought the Type Cover 2 because I definitely want the backlight capability, but I will also get the Power Cover; I'm assuming it will also be backlit.

I'm travelling coast-to-coast, so extended battery life means a lot to me. Thus, I will also be getting the Power Cover when it is available and as long as there isn't that much excessive bulk and weight, I'm sure I'll stick with it.

Dim-Ize

@Nuspieds - I don't believe the new Power Cover has backlit keys (at least from the reviews I've read). It is so far out, it's subject to change, but as of now, MS claims they wanted to maximize battery life and decided to forego the backlit keys to stay with that theme in mind. I think it must either add bulk to an already large increase or it adds cost.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

@Nuspieds - I don't believe the new Power Cover has backlit keys (at least from the reviews I've read). It is so far out, it's subject to change, but as of now, MS claims they wanted to maximize battery life and decided to forego the backlit keys to stay with that theme in mind. I think it must either add bulk to an already large increase or it adds cost.

Lol, no backlit keys on a "power" cover? The irony is just too funny. My guess is it will have backlit keys. MS cannot be that stupid.

polbit

From what I understand, the Power Cover is basically Type Cover 1 with battery added. Or at least that was the original plan.

spectre51

From what I understand, the Power Cover is basically Type Cover 1 with battery added. Or at least that was the original plan.

While the extra battery life would be nice for my surface pro I don't think I would get the battery cover if it didn't have back lit keys.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8