What's new

Getting 5k to work

tracer

I have a Dell 5K Monitor here.
A co-worker got the top of the line Surface Book with performance base. I would like to get this myelf, but it doesn't seem to work at 5k. What's weird is that Windows 10 sees the 5k resolution, but when you try to switch to it, it doesn't work.

Anyone got this working?

Edit: I'm using the Dock and have two cables running to the monitor as required to get 5k. If I only use one cable I don't see the 5k resolution option in advanced display settings.

Last edited:

MickeyLittle

No idea but I've read about people having to use 2 display port cables to get 5K out of their 5K monitors so I don't know if you can use a Surface Book with a Dock and hook it up that way.

OP
T

tracer

No idea but I've read about people having to use 2 display port cables to get 5K out of their 5K monitors so I don't know if you can use a Surface Book with a Dock and hook it up that way.

Sorry, I should have mentioned above, yes, you have to use two display port cables and your graphics card must support DP 1.2. Both of which the Pro Dock support. If I wasn't using 2 cables, I would not have seen the 5k resolution as an option.

MickeyLittle

Sorry I wasn't trying to state the obvious but for most who haven't seen a 5K monitor this setup is quite foreign I assure you! Anyway, I'm not sure where you go from here other than Microsoft support as I can't imagine why a Surface Book would not work. Hopefully there is a simple driver update for this that they can point you to.

Please post back the outcome.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Switch to the NVIDIA as your default GPU, (warning - this will make detaching next to impossible without reboot) and it should be able to drive the 5K Monitor. I don't think the Intel GMA 520 is capable of driving a 5K Monitor.