What's new

Getting hot

kundas1

yes that's normal for a new machine and will only last a few days... right now there is a lot working in the background with doing updates and then sorting itself out. But if it continues for a week then there might be a problem with the cooling... after you have completed all the updates it should cool down.

OP
S

Screenmad

Sorry when I said brand new I meant as in recent and not months and month ago. I bought it two weeks ago and perhaps it was hot all along or it's that I've just noticed.

Also the battery life is disappointing, how long is it mean to last max?

kundas1

have you done all updates? normally with each update the battery life has gotten better... also there is many many factors in to why/how long the battery life lasts.

OP
S

Screenmad

It does updates regularly - so I assume so.

Since this morning I logged on to make these posts, I had it on for no more than 10min and then I put it to sleep (as in I didn't do complete shut down). Now about 1 1/2 hours later I've gone from 100% to 89%. That seems a lot to me.

kundas1

then you might have a rogue program/app running in the background, I suggest you see what's going on in the task manager, and do a check battery report.. also what anti-virus programs do you have running? those are notorious for draining the battery...

kundas1

there ya go, those 2 programs are the biggest memory vampire hogs ever developed... both are notorious for bad battery drains and other problems try using MS edge for your browser and use another anti virus.

OP
S

Screenmad

I know Norton and other antivirus programs are but as this is Windows you can't be without. And as I've paid for it, it will stay.

I'll try to use Edge instead but I've always found IE to be shit compared to Chrome in the past. Perhaps Edge has improved.

I'd hoped Windows would've improved in the 5 years since I had one at home but it doesn't appear to have. Everything is much harder work than on a Mac.

kristalsoldier

I know Norton and other antivirus programs are but as this is Windows you can't be without. And as I've paid for it, it will stay.

I'll try to use Edge instead but I've always found IE to be shit compared to Chrome in the past. Perhaps Edge has improved.

I'd hoped Windows would've improved in the 5 years since I had one at home but it doesn't appear to have. Everything is much harder work than on a Mac.

Edge is a rather different browser as compared to IE. The problem with Chrome is endemic to Chrome and how it has been engineered at the moment.

And, as to whether Windows has improved or not, well, the common consensus is that W10 is a sharp improvement on earlier iterations of the OS and forward looking. That has also been my experience. Of course, YMMV.

OP
S

Screenmad

Windows 10 looks nice but it or the MSP4 is buggy compared to my MBP.

Ironically this forum doesn't work using Edge on my MSP4! I'm having to write this on my iPhone. [emoji23]

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I only use Edge....using it now and your thought that Windows 10 needs Norton is old thoughts. Windows 10 is the most secure OS (much more than OSX) deployed and for 90+% of users Defender is enough...

Have you ran all of the updates?