What's new

Getting my SP3 i7 Friday, anything I should know?

DXL007

I know a lot of you guys have had your SP3 for a while. I decided to wait for the i7 which is out this Friday (I pre-ordered).

Anything I should know or get when I pick it up other than the keyboard?

ctitanic

I know a lot of you guys have had your SP3 for a while. I decided to wait for the i7 which is out this Friday (I pre-ordered).

Anything I should know or get when I pick it up other than the keyboard?
Do you know how to enjoy it?;)

kundas1

Ewww no on the case! I find it hides the gorgeous device too much... like ctitanic has said, just enjoy it

Deryl McCarty

I somewhat disagree with kundas1 - I think you will still need to look at a case or sleeve, probably for two reasons. First, carrying around an obviously cool machine could be a theft magnet, and secondly there are times you must walk, bus or fly to a meeting and you need a bag (in my case a shoulder strap case) for carrying the SP3, the chargers, and other stuff and still free up hands for other bags and meeting items.

Also consider looking at memory: I already bought a 128GB micro SDXC.

Also, depending on your needs and use patterns, consider a USB port extender (USB 3.0) to cover keyboards, mice, external HDDs, external DVD/BR RW, and perhaps even small projectors for ad hoc meetings and briefings.

And who's to say you aren't a doctor or EMT and you need the extra USB ports for electronic stethoscopes or EEG/EKG monitors (I really don't know if there is such a thing, but what's a Fit Bit but what I just said. And who knows what the future is for each industry.)

kundas1

Yes but a CARRY BAG and a CASE are 2 different things, of course I'm not telling him to carry his SP3 around in his hands... that's just silly! I just said no on the case...

Also on another note to the OP questions I think you should Def get the Surface edition ARC touch mouse, it fits very nice and isn't bulky in a carry bag.

megatronium

If performance is a concern, I'm going to try undervolting mine. I'll get back to you with the results. You may want to consider that.

bluegrass

Just curious since you went off topic a little, did you find a setting to under voltage the DC voltage to the CPU?

Deryl McCarty

I should have mentioned the same thing in my comment above. When you are getting a USB 3.0 port extender buy it to include a Gbit LAN adapter. I have a Startach USB3100005 and it works fine on my SP2 when attached to the port adapter (there are a multitudinous products of the same ilk and most work just fine and are cheap.) But for travel BillsCarnage is right to advise a 3-4 USB port with the LAN adapter. Neat, small, effective on the road or at home.

But, if at home you have a Linksys 6900 or some other equivalent 802.11ac wireless router, I wonder if you need a Gbit adapter.

On the road where many hotels and motels are stuck in the past with only a 802.11g or n, the LAN adapter may come in handy for places that have Cat 5 still available.