What's new

Given the wrong model? No GPU shown

ericspt

After the daily Intel driver crash I figured there has to be a way to make the Nvidia card the default, or on all the time.

I'd sacrifice battery life but things would work better.

I get No Nvidia card detected when running the Nvidia Control panel. In the Device Manager no Nvidia card is shown.

I have the $2099 model which should have a Nvidia card, 256gb and i7. I have the i7 and 256gb but apparently no DGPU that is showing.

Is there a model number on the bottom portion or anything that shows what is what?

Grumpy2

Given all the problems with this machine my only advice is to return your SB to the place of purchase for either a full refund or exchange. I would suggest a full refund. Then wait until late January or February next year to purchase an other machine. By then, hopefully, Microsoft MAY have sorted out the problems with both the SB hardware as well as the crappy Win 10 software. I am certainly holding off for several months to see how things go.

mkenny28

After the daily Intel driver crash I figured there has to be a way to make the Nvidia card the default, or on all the time.

I'd sacrifice battery life but things would work better.

I get No Nvidia card detected when running the Nvidia Control panel. In the Device Manager no Nvidia card is shown.

I have the $2099 model which should have a Nvidia card, 256gb and i7. I have the i7 and 256gb but apparently no DGPU that is showing.

Is there a model number on the bottom portion or anything that shows what is what?

You could have gotten the wrong keyboard base somehow but have you dome a full reset and reinstalled the Surface Book Factory Image which is available directly from Microsoft? Others who have had Nvidia and other issues have had a factory reset/reinstall fix the majority of them. Also, where did you buy it from? Is a return or exchange an option? I know it is a pain because of the amount of time it would take to get a replacement but another member on this forum got Microsoft involved and should be receiving a brand new replacement in 3 to 5 days.

gootdude

Remove the clipboard from the dock, and then dock it again. I've had my nvidia card disappear while the laptop was docked and it refused to show back up until I physically re-docked it.

Frustrating driver issues like this are part of the initial revision, but it does make me nervous that Windows seems to deal with the attachment/removal of the hardware so poorly.