What's new

Glass/ Bezel Separation... I am really concerned.

Feoen

Hey folks. My SP3 has been perfect. I've had it since a day after launch, and it has been through thick and thin with me.

But I did notice a slight bezel separation at the top right corner. I assumed this is because this is where the heat was at. Additionally, right in that area was significant light bleed. If I pushed even slightly on the glass there, the LCD would warp.

Over time, it has gotten worse. The entire top of the glass is now separated from the bezel, except for at the corners.

I have a skin on the SP3, and while the skin feels flat around the entire Surface it is noticeably sticking off the unit where the glass is raised out of the bezel.

My primary concern is that if the glass is raised, dust could get under the glass and make for an ugly screen.

I really do NOT want to exchange my unit because it has been flawless otherwise.

Should I be concerned?

Icemango

Your issue sounds extremely severe. You probably want to exchange it.
People had similar issues on the SP2 but it never escalated to the point where you claim it to be (the top of the bezel is coming right off)
Can you post pictures for us?

I had my SP3 as long as you have and my bezel appears to be completely intact (knock on wood), and yours is the first case I have heard of.

Last edited:

ipaq_101

Can you please post some pictures? This way we can compare and see what is happening with your unit to ours, or if it begins to happen to ours down the line.

But if you take it to the MS store, they will exchange it.

Also even if your unit is flawless otherwise, why keep it just for that reason? The bezel separating is pretty big flaw alone, I couldn't and you shouldn't live with that.

Kif

I would open up a service ticket with Microsoft to document the issue. Then you can decide if you want to proceed with swapping it out or waiting to see what happens. Regardless documenting the issue is key so Microsoft has a record to work off. I'm sure they'll take care of you anyway around it.

killervette666

Wrong thread.

I think he meant to take the opportunity to just open it all the way up and replace the SSD, lol, since it's coming apart anyways.

By the way I posted a while back that mine has the same issue. Take your SP3, hold it up, and look right down the top edge of it as if you are looking down the barrel of a rifle. Is it curved?

My SP3 is curved, bowed out in the middle, and it's causing glass/bezel separation. Maybe same is happening to yours. I got the Surface Complete warranty and will probably wait at least 6 months before trying to exchange. The likelihood of getting another defective one at this point is too high. Maybe they'll figure out the quality control later in the production cycle.

ipaq_101

I think he meant to take the opportunity to just open it all the way up and replace the SSD, lol, since it's coming apart anyways.

By the way I posted a while back that mine has the same issue. Take your SP3, hold it up, and look right down the top edge of it as if you are looking down the barrel of a rifle. Is it curved?

My SP3 is curved, bowed out in the middle, and it's causing glass/bezel separation. Maybe same is happening to yours. I got the Surface Complete warranty and will probably wait at least 6 months before trying to exchange. The likelihood of getting another defective one at this point is too high. Maybe they'll figure out the quality control later in the production cycle.

I understand your concern, however after I swapped my initial unit out, I got a better unit than the one I exchanged. So you might get lucky after all. Also you have no idea what their process will be in 6 months, they have had so many returns and swapped units, that they might just send you a refurbished unit, just saying. I wouldn't wait too long.

Last edited: