What's new

Gmail Touch

MikeyT

New Gmail touch app released. It's not an official Gmail app, and there are no notifications or live tiles (yet), but it works much better than navigating through IE.

kristalsoldier

New Gmail touch app released. It's not an official Gmail app, and there are no notifications or live tiles (yet), but it works much better than navigating through IE.

Thanks! Yes, this is certainly better than going through the browser. But why are the folders (like inbox etc.) on the right-hand side? If the developer can include live tiles/ notifications etc., I'd buy it immediately!

simmons777

The official google app is in the MS Store, it works well for most of the google services, including gmail and youtube.

simmons777

Yes, check out the search app. there is a button on the bottom to access Google apps. it's not exactly a dedicated gmail app but it's more convenient than just using IE.

kristalsoldier

Yes, check out the search app. there is a button on the bottom to access Google apps. it's not exactly a dedicated gmail app but it's more convenient than just using IE.

Thanks. Yes, indeed. It works quite well actually. One thing I found that there is no in-app setting to adjust the font size/ scale. I have to use the Ctrl + command. In IE, however, you can set the font size within the app - I think you can do this in some other apps too.

That notwithstanding, this is a viable alternative. I have also been using the Gmail Touch app and that is not too bad either. Some stuff, however, is missing - like viewing labels, live tiles etc. If the developer can fix that then I would buy it (to essentially get rid of the in-app ads). I am not sure Google is ever going to get around making a dedicated app for Gmail (which is, in my opinion, a rather stupid thing that they are doing).

Edit: That Gmail Touch app is being rapidly updated. Now there are the views of the labels etc. Still rough around the edges, but its getting there!

Last edited:
OP
M

MikeyT

Live tile and notifications added. The only issue I have now, is that the loading time has become slower, which I think is due to the advertisement.

Trovahead

I would love to ditch the stock mail app for this if it only supported multiple log ins. Hopefully soon!