What's new

Going round in circles... using OneDrive effectively

benjitek

...Question is, will it save locally too?
Yes, but generally in the reverse of what you thought. When working on your Surface, you'll save to your local OneDrive folder, which will in turn sync to OneDrive in the cloud. Changes you make on your iPad will sync to the cloud, then to your local OneDrive folder on your Surface. It all works quite well, however, I do miss the configuration options when OneDrive (SkyDrive) was a separate app on the PC.

One issue with your iOS camera roll since they integrated OneDrive into the OS is a folder that gets created when you sync with iTunes, called iPod Photo Cache -- it's used internally by iTunes. Previously, when OneDrive was it's own desktop app, you had the option to select which folders would sync and you could sync the photo album folder but not the cache sub-folder. Now it's all or nothing, that functionality is gone. The iPod Photo Cache can get quite large, something to keep in mind if you're approaching your space limit.

Last edited:

lparsons21

Right... so create the folders on OneDrive and get my Surface to automatically save to that? Question is, will it save locally too? I was reading about Office for iPad today and it stated when you save your document it automatically saves it both on OneDrive and locally, that's what I want!

There is a setting so that it isn't automagically save in both places. Can't remember where i read about it, but I know it can be done. OK, found it. It is a all or none setting.

Open your OneDrive with the SkyDrive modern app, pull the right side, select options and you'll see the choices.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Brilliant, I feel like I'm becoming a modern man, finally. Shall give this a go setting up when I get a chance!

beq

I'd also tested back and forth the different ways of integrating OneDrive, such as:

1) adding OneDrive folders (Documents, Pictures, etc) to the matching Windows Explorer Libraries as the default save location, but technically separate from the local Documents, Pictures, etc system folders

2) actually pointing the target location of the local system folders (Documents, Pictures, etc) to the corresponding OneDrive folders, via right-click -> Location tab

3) replacing the local system folders (Documents, Pictures, etc) with symlinks/junctions that map to the OneDrive folders, via the command-line "mklink /j [junction] [path]"

I finally settled on method #2, unless someone cares to convince me otherwise?

FYI my Libraries has these folder locations, as well as the Public folders (from C:\Users\Public) as secondary locations.

My main OneDrive folders include: Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos.

P.S. Integrated OneDrive on Windows 8.1 can run into problems, be sure to check your (Windows Search) Indexing status regularly...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... 2) actually pointing the target location of the local system folders (Documents, Pictures, etc) to the corresponding OneDrive folders, via right-click -> Location tab
I finally settled on method #2, unless someone cares to convince me otherwise?
... my Libraries has these folder locations, as well as the Public folders (from C:\Users\Public) as secondary locations.

My main OneDrive folders include: Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos.

This is what I do, also.
In my Documents folder I have ppt, doc, xls, graphics, and other subfolders, each of which are pointed to by the respective Office apps. I keep my OneDrive local folder indexed.