What's new

Going round in circles... using OneDrive effectively

CrippsCorner

I've been searching for a while now to get the correct usage I want from OneDrive. However, everyone seems to have different ideas and I can't find a step by step guide for my requirements... what I want is quite simple, I think.

I would like all documents and pictures from my Surface to be automatically backed up to corresponding folders on OneDrive, minimum effort :) I swear this was already happening, but it isn't as I used OneDrive for the first time on my iPhone last week and none of my 'recent' pictures were on there, only the ones I had previously selected to manually upload. Can anyone help with this?

I'm sure there must be a way to do this without scratching my head much further!

msaade88

Hi! I'm from Argentina so excuse for the bad English! I think what you have to do is go to Settings in the charm bar, then go to Skydrive and then enter in camera roll and select "upload photos..."

benjitek

I recommend downloading this program called Synctoy.
Wow... I don't think I'll rush out and layer another sync protocol on top of OneDrive -- especially being as it was last updated in 2009. Windows7 is the latest OS listed in the compatibility list.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Create the folders you want and add them to your library and make it the default location, everything is available where you expect it to be and its backed up. I now have around 120GB of data on my OneDrive available across my entire eco-system.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
My OneDrive is my default Documents folder. I like the way everything is synced up for me - and my iPhone camera roll too.
So last night I launched Office for iPad. All my Office docs were there and brilliantly rendered.

I want to kiss somebody. :)

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Right... so create the folders on OneDrive and get my Surface to automatically save to that? Question is, will it save locally too? I was reading about Office for iPad today and it stated when you save your document it automatically saves it both on OneDrive and locally, that's what I want!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, anything you save on your Surface is available offline and changes will sync again once you have connectivity.

TeknoBlast

Man, I've been using OneDrive since SkyDrive was first released and you'd get 25GB of space. Never had an issue then, never had an issue now. I even setup my iPod Touch, yes that's iPod with OneDrive and I can see all my folders and files that I give permissions to.

As for the Surface, I usually just work from the OneDrive directory...nothing kept locally unless I want to make a copy of it. Doing that, there's nothing to truly sync since everything was kept and worked on from the OneDrive directory.

TunaSurface

Man what's with the hard to read text?
It's small and in Italic :/
To add to your point my Onedrive works great too, I use it on my iphone, xbox (Yes, really),
Surface and my other laptop. I've got plenty of space there since I only put small files there.