What's new

Good Morning, new owner

ColEdinburgh

Hello all, I'm new to this forum but had my SP3 sine the launch in July (I imported a i5 8gb 256gb to the UK). Loving the device so far. I'm also an MBA and iPAD2 owner, however my Apple habit has dwindled.

The SP3 is my first taste of Windows 8 and I have to say I like it. I like the schizophrenic nature of it. For me, the modern UI makes the device an enjoyable tablet experience and seamlessly flipping back and forth with the desktop mode is a killer feature.

The 12 inch screen is a joy to use, makes the iPad2 look too small, but then for me bigger is better (my smartphone is a Sony Xperia Z Ultra).

I see the main complaints with the device seem to be due to heat issues and games performance which I find quite funny: my MBA also gets very hot, has a much louder fan than the SP3 and can't play new games on max settings. I guess Windows nerds are still over obsessed with specs whereas Apple nerds don't ever discuss their device shortcomings. I think there is a clause to that effect in the Apple End User Agreement: I haven't read it all through.

My biggest concern is the longevity of the battery as it can't be replaced. I've had my MBA for two and a half years and recently the battery performance has dropped off a cliff. I'm generally down to about 3.5 hours now on that device. I considered getting a new MBA but I just couldn't get excited about it.

Anyway, so far so good.

Cheers,

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

Having used i devices you should be accustomed to non replaceable batteries. Normally it's not a big deal as most devices, (tablets in particular), will become obsolete before the battery fails. Your experience with the MBA is a rarity, but stuff does happen.

If battery life is your main concern I wouldn't fret that much over it.