What's new

Good to buy?

Jason Moorash

Good morning all,
Need advice from you pros.
Thinking about getting the 4gb 64gb
Basically for keeping record of my stamp collection software that only runs on windows and a baseball card collection program again that only runs on windows. Both are basically excel programs just beefed up.
I have a full time laptop with windows but would like to have something lighter to take with me when I am out and about.
Will this machine be fast enough? I plan on using a micro sd card for storage.
Thanks
jason

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fast enough?

I don't know anything about that software. How does it run on the lowest spec PC you have and what is it? With some point of reference I could make a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess). :D

OP
J

Jason Moorash

Well I have a windows laptop with a i7 and 8gb of ram...needless to say it has no issues. I would guess that these programs would barely task the go as they are pretty simple programs. Its not like I'm editing movies or anything. I went to Best buy to play with one and I opened many programs and it seemed to handle them well enough.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use my Surface Go to handle some large data sets in Excel and Power BI without issue...mine is a 8/128 version though

Turbo4AWD

Well, I'm going to open mine up, get rid of windows s and give it a test....

I was in a similar situation when I got my Surface 3. I already had a full blown laptop (gaming laptop at that) and just wanted something smaller and lighter to travel with for basic tasks nothing too crazy. After using my Surface 3 for little bit, I realized that maybe I wanted a LITTLE more power than it had to offer and ended up jumping to a Pro, but for the task you described, I think it's worth trying out the Go and see how it pans out. It may make you upgrade or it may not, but I definitely found it worthwhile getting the Surface 3. I just didn't know I was going to fully upgrade to a Pro until I realized I wanted more from the Surface 3 than it had to offer during real-world, everyday, (albeit "mostly consumption and casual") use! lol.

I'm interested in finding out how it works out. Let us know!

I was in a similar situation when I got my Surface 3. I already had a full blown laptop (gaming laptop at that) and just wanted something smaller and lighter to travel with for basic tasks nothing too crazy. After using my Surface 3 for little bit, I realized that maybe I wanted a LITTLE more power than it had to offer and ended up jumping to a Pro, but for the task you described, I think it's worth trying out the Go and see how it pans out. It may make you upgrade or it may not, but I definitely found it worthwhile getting the Surface 3. I just didn't know I was going to fully upgrade to a Pro until I realized I wanted more from the Surface 3 than it had to offer during real-world, everyday, (albeit "mostly consumption and casual") use! lol.

I'm interested in finding out how it works out. Let us know!

I am interested too. I also have a Surface Pro 3 and thinking about having a Surface Go.