What's new

Good wireless projector for Surface Pro 2?

Swissmorgy

Hi everyone

I'm a teacher and would like to use my Surface Pro 2 wirelessly with a projector in classroom. Showing graphics, presentations, and videos (which don't have to be in HD). Sound should be included to go on external speakers from the projectior.

What's the best way to do so with the Pro 2?
What projector? Has anyone tested one successfully?
And is it correct that the Surface Pro 2 will not be able to keep a wireless connection to a projector plus be online in the internet?

Thanks for suggestions and ideas!

Swissmorgy

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use the Netgear PTV3000 which will work on any projector that uses HDMI, offers much more flexibility than using just a wireless projector.

OP
Swissmorgy

Swissmorgy

Hello Jeff,

thanks for answering. How far away can you be from that device? And what is the maximum video-resolution the connection can handle?

Swissmorgy

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I never tried to see how far the throw is, I've been 20 feet away and it worked...it supports 1080p Resolution but you will be limited by your projector.

OP
Swissmorgy

Swissmorgy

I bought the Netgear PTV3000, plugged it to a projector with HMDI and connected my Surface Pro 2 to it. The first impressions are really great! :LOL:
Easy connecting, smooth streaming and hardly any lag!
And even internet-content can be projected; wow! Only when it comes to videos on the internet the connections is overloaded, which first corrupts the audio signal.

Swissmorgy

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure you get the latest firmware for the PTV3000, it improves the quality a bunch...

bluegrass

I went on Amazon to try and figure out how this Netgear PT3000 gets installed. It sounds like it gets intalled on the TV. Does it get the content from your computer to the TV via the Internet. I didn't read anything about connecting something up to the Surface. The way my wireless video works is there is a transmitter that connects to the HDMI out of the Surface and a reciever that connects to any video device (mine is projector) that has an HDMI input. It sound like this Miracast is an entirely different concept that must have limitation that my unit doesn't have.

OK, I did some more research and I think I understand Miracast and I can see it has a place for wireless video. What I don't understand is how you can WiFi to the Miracast receiver at the same time WiFi through your router to the Internet. I thought you can only WiFi to one device at a time. Help me hout here. What am I missing. I know I WiFied to my new GoPro camera and then tried to Wifi to a router and it I needed to disconnect from my GoPro in order to WiFi to the Interent.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It uses a technology built into most WiFi adapters that is called WiFi Direct by creating a Virtual WLAN Adapter. This allows for concurrent connections.

OP
Swissmorgy

Swissmorgy

In the meantime, I have noticed that the connection to the PTV3000 is not very stable. Quite often the connection fails in the first seconds, after which the device is no longer visible on the Surface and a connection cannot be done again. Re-Connecting the PTV3000 doesn't change anything, only rebooting the Surface helps. So I guess the cause must be some driver in the Surface. Once everyting is running, the connection seems more stable

Swissmorgy

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you applied the latest firmware for the PTV3000? Also I found rebooting the PTV3000 just as effective as rebooting the Surface.