What's new

Google Chrome Canary... now BEST Windows 8 Browser

dRuEFFECT

Trying out blogging, so i wrote my own post about using the new Chrome Canary 32-bit as the default browser in Metro mode on my Surface Pro 2.

I finally have the browser my Surface has been missing; windows 8 mode support, gestured navigation, extensions, etc. I hope you guys can find this useful too.

Google Chrome Canary now BEST Windows 8 tablet browser | mÆkSHIFT

EDIT, Issue Found:
Pen doesn't always work

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

Saved the blog to read later, thanks. Is this a new release? I use Chrome on the desktop but found it pretty terrible in Modern UI before.

daniielrp

Saved the blog to read later, thanks. Is this a new release? I use Chrome on the desktop but found it pretty terrible in Modern UI before.

Canary is there "edge of usability" channel, before alpha and beta I believe. So you can use it, but may be unstable/break or the features may be removed quickly.

OP
D

dRuEFFECT

Yea Chrome in the Modern UI was just plain awful, but the Canary release seems to fix all that. Just want to reiterate from the blog post that Canary now defaults to 64 bit, but the 64 bit installation isn't handling memory right and crashes if you scroll too fast.

32 bit Canary seems perfect so far. I haven't had any issues since installing it.

TPadden

FANTASTIC!!!!! Been waiting for Chrome to work in Metro ...... only problem I've found so far is Pen doesn't work. Minor problem, finger works fine :).

OP
D

dRuEFFECT

The gesture navigation forward and back is so simple but it makes me so happy that I can finally do that. I must have spent 10 minutes last night just doing that. My wife probably thought I was having a stroke.

daniielrp

Well it certainly is good to have a working touch version of chrome, just wish they'd stop bloody trying to chuck that awful ChromeOS down our throats.

We're losing a good 10-15% of screenspace to that bottom bar and top nav bar.

OP
D

dRuEFFECT

Well it certainly is good to have a working touch version of chrome, just wish they'd stop bloody trying to chuck that awful ChromeOS down our throats.

We're losing a good 10-15% of screenspace to that bottom bar and top nav bar.

Yea I was skeptical at first, but you can swipe down the bottom bar. It's also useful because it can still support multiple browser windows and not just tabs.

beq

Great, thanks for the info. Does the latest Canary in Metro mode looks as sharp as IE/Firefox on the SP2 (no blurry text anymore)? And no limitation on Chrome extensions when running as Metro?

Also interesting about the Canary's tip-tap gesture, this is the first I've heard of it (reminds me of the TouchMe app).