What's new

Google Chrome Canary... now BEST Windows 8 Browser

macmee

In regards to performance, for whatever reason, IE is still doing s better job rendering webpages than canary for me. Specifically web apps with heavy amounts of rendering work much better in IE than Canary for me still.

CrippsCorner

Canary is there "edge of usability" channel, before alpha and beta I believe. So you can use it, but may be unstable/break or the features may be removed quickly.

Okay that's brilliant. I'm in no rush to try versions which might break! But looking forward to the final (or maybe beta) release :)

OP
D

dRuEFFECT

Great, thanks for the info. Does the latest Canary in Metro mode looks as sharp as IE/Firefox on the SP2 (no blurry text anymore)? And no limitation on Chrome extensions when running as Metro?

Also interesting about the Canary's tip-tap gesture, this is the first I've heard of it (reminds me of the TouchMe app).

Canary in metro looks very sharp and clean, that problem I had with Firefox. Pinch zooming is also really smooth and quick, also really easy to pinch zoom-out back to 100% (doesn't zoom out further than that).

I love the TouchMe gestures, but I'm really happy that Canary has that built in too. Shows that Google is putting more attention towards touch-based optimization.

beq

I agree, pinch zooming in Firefox should be better. It actually changes the zoom level setting of the page, and as you said it doesn't stop you from pinching out further to be less than 100% zoom level.

So with Canary, you didn't have to go to Compatibility Tab -> "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings", and toggle some chrome://flags such as HiDPI?

mcsenerd

I'm with the other cat... Chrome Canary is VERY slow in Windows 8 Mode for me. Furthermore, whenever I relaunch in Windows 8 Mode...Hangouts stops working and I also cannot seem to reach the Chrome Web Store.

OP
D

dRuEFFECT

Make sure Chrome is set as your default internet browser.

Yes, chrome must be set as the default browser for windows 8 mode to work. For chrome canary, you need to first modify the registry per the instructions before you can set canary as a default browser.

daniielrp

Yes, chrome must be set as the default browser for windows 8 mode to work. For chrome canary, you need to first modify the registry per the instructions before you can set canary as a default browser.

No you don't. Mine worked straight away when I told it to be default.