What's new

Google Chrome causes laptop drain and battery issues.

EMINENT

For those that are having battery issues, I had a feeling this was due to users who installed Chrome.
I've never had to install Chrome on my Surface because I can do everything I need on IE. So I've never experienced this kind of battery drain.

Google to fix Chrome for Windows bug that drains laptop batteries
By Tom Warren on July 18, 2014 07:08 am @tomwarren 84Comments
\
chromebook-windows-8-review1_2040.0_standard_600.0.jpg

Google is promising to fix a bug in Chrome for Windows that has been draining laptop batteries for years. The problem was first reported in 2010, but a recent investigation by Forbes has bumped the issue to the top of Google’s Chrome bug report list. Chrome’s battery drain problem affects Windows users as Google sets a parameter for processor-intensive tasks much lower than Microsoft recommends. The result means laptop processors are waking up far more often than they should when Chrome is open on Windows and a webpage is idle. Internet Explorer and Firefox don't exhibit the same battery drain problem.
Google confirmed the issue to PC World, and an engineer has been assigned internally to address the problem. The promise of a fix follows a recent Chrome 37 beta update that improves font rendering in Windows. Chrome 37 beta now supports Microsoft’s DirectWrite font rendering technology, dramatically improving the way fonts are displayed in the browser with smooth animations. While Windows Phone might not be getting much love from Google, these two fixes show that the search giant is at least dedicated to improving Chrome on the desktop version of Windows.

kristalsoldier

While I do have Chrome installed, I rarely use it and usually shut off all related services. I agree that Chrome plays havoc on the battery - don't notice it much when on my desktop machine.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ed Bott claimed that these bugs were first filed in 2010 :) So it must be due to the press picking up the issue...

cdf3

I get better performance and battery life on my Surface Pro 3 using Internet Explorer, but I still have to use the Chrome browser because it's the only browser that seems to supports my Chromecast device.

Kif

It's supposedly caused by the adobe flash player built plugin. Even if it's not true it's fun to blame adobe.;)

implode99

I finally got fed up and moved everything from Chrome to IE . I is so much better on the Surface. glassy smooth and better battery . I sure hope Chrome gets its sit together and puts out a better touch browser soon. I was so tired of web sites responding like your driving in mud when scrolling. We have I5's for christ sake . they run better than that .