What's new

Google play on Surface

roadsup3

Does anyone know how to get a google play app on the Surface RT. Just got one for Christmas and loving it..however there are some apps in Google play that I cannot find in the MS Store. Thanks in advance for any answers you "experts" give.

ctitanic

Like somebody already told you the only way to get those apps is not asking us neither MS, it's asking the developers, the most people ask the most chances we all have to get those apps.

OP
R

roadsup3

Android apps will not run on Windows RT. Which Apps are you looking for? We might know analogs that will give you the same functionality. Also there is a thread over on the Official Support Forum to petition App Makers for RT versions.

Found Here:

recruiting new surface 2 owners to request apps at various - Microsoft Community

You could help with the effort.
Thanks will be happy to help with that. I an a Amateur Radio Operator and would like to have an app called Echolink. It is a communication app that you can use to talk to other amateurs when you don't have a radio. I will go to their website and see if they have an alternative for the Surface. Another app is one I used to use on my android for logging contacts with other amateurs..although I suppose I could make one in Excel for that. there are several other ones but I can't remember them right off hand. Thanks for the info on the other forum.
Jim

Drey

Wow wish I would've know you can't get Google play on this thing.... just wasted alot of money for a worthless machine. If its a "tablet" then you should be able to get Google play. Looks like I'll be selling this

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ipads can't get google play either... they are different operating systems and have different app stores... ipads run iOS and get the Apple App store, most other devices run Android and get Google Play, Windows tablets run Windows (RT in your case) and run Windows app store.

Windows app store is the poor relation to the other two for sure, but I remember when I first got an android phone an iphone user was taking the mick out of me for using android and how "small and rubbish" the Android Market (as google play was called then) was.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow wish I would've know you can't get Google play on this thing.... just wasted alot of money for a worthless machine. If its a "tablet" then you should be able to get Google play. Looks like I'll be selling this

I just bought a Ford and I want to put a Chevy engine in it but it doesn't fit. Boy I wish Id known that. I just wasted a lot of money on a worthless car. If it's a car you should be able to put a Chevy engine in it. DOH!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks will be happy to help with that. I an a Amateur Radio Operator and would like to have an app called Echolink. It is a communication app that you can use to talk to other amateurs when you don't have a radio. I will go to their website and see if they have an alternative for the Surface. Another app is one I used to use on my android for logging contacts with other amateurs..although I suppose I could make one in Excel for that. there are several other ones but I can't remember them right off hand. Thanks for the info on the other forum.
Jim
It doesn't appear that EchoLink is open source although some compatible projects exist. Id start by asking EchoLink if they would make a build for RT. http://www.echolink.org/support.htm

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This may help you although its not a direct solution. EchoSkype http://www.w0otm.com/echoskype.html
Although I saw a number of other references to using Skype or other VOIP software in this manner I have to say I didn't totally follow them. it sounds like you would have to use anther PC for the Bridge and make your Skype connect to the Bridge PC.

It seems like there could be some Internet Web services as well for this although I didn't see one.
There's a Ham Radio app in the store but not really sure what it does and doesn't appear its used, might be a fake.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't believe this ever materialized ... there were a couple references made back in 2012 that they were mulling it over but NOTHING since. Then there's a very old page still up on Bluestacks site but it goes nowhere...

Download this {imaginary software} Imagine it done.