What's new

Got 3 Surfaces, all with light bleed + general MS bashing

Ekhangel

This is f....g outrageous. I got three SPs 2017 (for myself, for SO and for mum), and all of them exhibit light bleed ranging from minor to horrendous.

Does anyone have a unit free from any bleeding entirely?

Plantje

Light bleed seems to be standard on a Surface device. Actually all LCD panels have light bleed.
If it is bad enough I believe Microsoft will replace the unit.

OP
E

Ekhangel

Go and tell them this:

Microsoft Community

The notion that all LCDs have light bleed might be true, but what we're seeing in SP 2017s is a whole new level of light bleed, definitely uncommon in mobile devices, especially this premium. And plus, I'm not talking about just one unit's problem, I'm talking about a global problem which is evident and reported worldwide.

Honestly, I love my Surface despite its numerous stupid issues (being, apart of the bleed, auto-hibernation now resolved, screen flicker etc.), but the light bleed at least needs to be brough to "popular attention" to warn potential buyers who are not willing to deal with $1000+ crap.

Plantje

I agree with you that this shouldn't happen on a premium device! Try pressing the device somewhat. You'll see wrinkles flowing over the screen like water. Nice and all, but an iPad doesn't have that, nor does a Samsung tablet. Haven't tried all sorts of tablets though. And yet again: the iPads and most Samsung tablets don't run Windows :(

Believe me, I've had my share of amazement as I currently have the FIFTH Surface 3 with a defective screen.

OP
E

Ekhangel

What sort of defect does your device have?

I was really pissed with Microsoft lately, as the unit I gave my mom was actually a gift, and I was extremely disappointed to see the bleeding after unboxing. I was reluctant to tell her about this, given that she probably doesn't care, but the bleeding was bad enough to actually decolorize one or two buttons of the Windows touch keyboard. I'm still considering telling her and suggesting that she replaces the device. What ridiculous dillemas Microsoft causes us!

The problem is: there is no real market-available alternative to Surface here in Poland. And besides, let's face it: the device, with its Platinum Alcantara keyboard especially, beats the wannabe competition of HP, Asus or Samsung completely in terms of visual appeal and overall quality of making.

So it's sort of like having a really moody but beautiful wife...

Plantje

This is the issue my device has: Surface 3 one year later display problem

Return you mother's device! Definitely do that. I really understand parents not making a big fuzz about something like that. "Because it doesn't hinder me". But for that amount of money it SHOULD hinder you!

And I see the dilemma you're facing as well. If I get to replace my Surface 3 I am in the same boat. One part of me says: no Microsoft hardware ever again! And another part of me reeeeeeaally loves that stuff when I am in a store.

OP
E

Ekhangel

The problem is she runs a business and 2 weeks without a proper computing machine ARE a big deal. And that's always the problem. Part of you wants to get things right for the $1500 you shelled out on your PC. But another part just desperately needs the machine for everyday stuff and tells you to "live with it".

But even worse is the unreliability of W10 on Surface and tons of stupid defects or shortcomings, like NOT BEING ABLE TO DISABLE A BLOODY PASSWORD. I just had a chat with a support rep 10 mins ago about this, and he literally told me it's impossible, suggesting that there is a registry tweak but he's not allowed to tell me since it's "not recommended". What's even more ridiculous is that I managed to disable the password on one of the three Surfaces I bought - without any magical tricks.

Then comes the screen flicker (Intel's adaptive contrast function designed by morons for morons, the smoothness of which leaves MUCH to be desired) that you can disable, but only after you waste an hour searching for another reg tweak in Google. Sheez.

So yeah, Surface is sort of like communism - cool on paper (or in ads), disastrous in execution, but survivable if you're a party commisar - or know all the register and group policy fixes.

Plantje

If you still need help logging in without a password I can help you.

For the rest: I feel your pain

OP
E

Ekhangel

Method 2 from the link just worked on one Surface, but did not work on another with all settings identical... Not even surprised anymore. Windows proves again and again how unreliable it is, and how the most idiotic defaults are often impossible to alter easily. For someone running business and not having time to deal with BS password protection every time they log in, I can easily see that person just discarding this crap and getting a Macbook the next day.

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

I've had 3. All with light bleed as well :( but tbh since the initial loading of Windows I've not really noticed it. Microsoft will replace it but I just got fed up in the end!

Plantje

Checked some SP4, SP and Surface Tablet devices last week hitting ctrl+alt+del. To be honest: none of them showed visible light bleed.