What's new

Got a Surface Pro 128GB with Type, but really dissapointed

jsanders128

Was really excited about finally having the "perfect" tablet for getting work done. But the Surface Pro has some really unfortunate weaknesses and so it will be going back:

1) PDF annotation with the pen is a killer feature, but the Reader program still has the bug where if you annotate with the pen, save, then reopen the file, the writing becomes distorted. Totally insane that they haven't fixed yet.
2) Alternate PDF annotation programs such as PDF Touch do not seem to have good bookmart management.
3) Desktop PDF annotation like PDF Annotator do not have palm rejection, are not compatible with Metro. PDF Annotator is also slow with large pdfs, such as ebooks.
4) Exporting to OneNote is too slow and not as good as just annotating a PDF directly.

5) Obviously, the battery life.

But mainly, the PDF annotation capability of the device is just really dissapointing, especially given how awesome the hardware is (battery life excluded).

J515OP

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you really have one specific issue which is not really under Microsoft's control. If the PDF annotation software isn't where you want it to be you need to contact the companies that make that software and push them to develop better software or go out there and make a better annotation product yourself. Not sure how that is a fault of the Surface.

On the battery issue, it has been much discussed and there should be no mystery about the battery life. Of course more battery would be better but it is in line with other ultra books so you aren't really going to be able to get much longer by using other PCs of a similar spec. This is currently the limit of battery technology only holding so much charge for a given size and processor power efficiency. The next generation of Intel chips should help with the processor power efficiency to extend the battery life.

ltcbob11

I open word and PDF documents into One Note and am able to handwrite all over them. Even when I email the document my writing is still on the document. Works like a charm! I prefer to use the real version of One Note versus the RT version, but both work well. Using One Note is also great for organizing my documents as well.

To be honest, I was very reluctant to start using One Note; not sure why. But with the Surface Pro I have made the transition and am loving it.

I am curious if the OP has recommendations of tablets that meet his/her requirements.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I agree about the battery. But isnt Reader a Microsoft program? This seems to be a well-documented issue: Issues with saving Inked notes on upgraded tablet - Microsoft Community

Reader is a basic MS software app. I don't believe it is intended for power users whose whole device experience hinges on the quality of annotating apps. However, as an annotating app the advice still applies... "If the PDF annotation software isn't where you want it to be you need to contact the companies that make that software and push them to develop better software."

This includes the MS Reader app if you feel it is necessary though I suspect MS would direct you to OneNote or Word given their more robust abilities and intended uses. Either way this sort of software performance issue really has nothing to do with the Surface Pro as a device. As noted by Itcbob11, what device would meet the requirements since they all run the same software? You may be able to find a slightly longer battery life or a swappable battery device to address that issue but picking different hardware will not improve the software used to annotate.

JP

malberttoo

Yeah you are doing yourself a serious disservice by scuttling the Surface Pro over these issues alone! Take the plunge, and cough up the money for PDF Annotator (Annotate, Edit and Comment PDF Files. Open any PDF file, add annotations and save all back to PDF in one single step. For desktop computers and Tablet PCs.). It is (IMHO) the standard for marking up PDF's, and I've never used Microsoft's Reader, but Foxit Reader (free) has never had an issue opening and rendering perfectly any PDF that I've marked up. Seriously, you need to give a few more options a try before throwing in the towel, or you will be selling yourself quite short.

Also, not trying to talk anyone into a different opinion here... I'm not often in meetings where I have to ink, but I was in a meeting a few days ago for 3 hours, on battery, inking in OneNote the whole time. Early on I turned the screen brightness down to about 40, maybe 50%, I just didn't need all the brightness. Anyways at the end of the meeting I still had 3 hours of battery life remaining. Was very cool.

-Michael

OP
J

jsanders128

Yeah you are doing yourself a serious disservice by scuttling the Surface Pro over these issues alone! Take the plunge, and cough up the money for PDF Annotator (Annotate, Edit and Comment PDF Files. Open any PDF file, add annotations and save all back to PDF in one single step. For desktop computers and Tablet PCs.). It is (IMHO) the standard for marking up PDF's, and I've never used Microsoft's Reader, but Foxit Reader (free) has never had an issue opening and rendering perfectly any PDF that I've marked up. Seriously, you need to give a few more options a try before throwing in the towel, or you will be selling yourself quite short.

Also, not trying to talk anyone into a different opinion here... I'm not often in meetings where I have to ink, but I was in a meeting a few days ago for 3 hours, on battery, inking in OneNote the whole time. Early on I turned the screen brightness down to about 40, maybe 50%, I just didn't need all the brightness. Anyways at the end of the meeting I still had 3 hours of battery life remaining. Was very cool.

-Michael

Thanks for the tips. I actually have PDF annotator. But I often have to open PDFs of several hundred pages and it is slow. PDF annotator also does not have palm rejection, so its difficult to draw on PDFs. I'll try Foxit Reader, but I heard that the lines and drawing are jagged.

As for alternative devices. The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 is great at PDF annotation. You can use a program called ezPDF that is basically almost perfect. The only drawbacks are that Android has a poor file management system.

I'm keeping the Surface for now and am going to try FoxIt reader. Maybe if PDF Annotator had some settings for palm/finger rejection that might be good too.

malberttoo

Hmmm that's odd! I would have thought that palm rejection was a function of the device, and not the software. I'll try it out on my Surface here in a few hours....

OP
J

jsanders128

Hmmm that's odd! I would have thought that palm rejection was a function of the device, and not the software. I'll try it out on my Surface here in a few hours....

I believe it is both. With the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 for example, some pdf annotation programs have it and some do not.