What's new

Got my Type Cover 2...

Crimson Idol 8

I like it! An improvement over the original. I particularly like the new material for the touchpad and surrounds. Any first generation RT or Pro users grab one?

Attachments

• 2013-10-24 15.23.41.jpg
    2013-10-24 15.23.41.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,237

kristalsoldier

I got one a day or so back - Type cover purple in colour. I love it!!!!

Edit: Forgot to add that I am pairing it with the original RT - though, if things work out, I may get the new RT in a month or so!

Last edited:

baandoptager

I got mine, but it doesn't work properly. Surface Pro won't recognize it fully, so i can't adjust the scroll speed and it keeps flipping the direction. Also scrolling is absolutely not right. Track pad won't recoginze it either. drag and drop doesn't work either. Been online with 2 surface reps. Theres nothing wrong with my keyboard on a Surface 2 or Surface Pro 2, but with me.... It just doesn't work. I can't even return it, so i don't know what to do.

I feel that at a 135 euros, it should work out of the box as they promise.

Tried everything with drivers and such, even re-installed the whole machine to my annoyance. I'm so bothered by this. None of the keyboards have worked right, had them all.

Can anyone help????? Does anyone have settings for their type cover 2 on SP.

PS: With a Surface Pro.

Ruffles

I got a Purple Type 2 to replace my Type 1 for Christmas. I have mixed feelings. I love the backlighting, feel of the keys, and material around the palm rests that doesn't show fingerprints. What I don't like is the touchpad being the same material as the rest of the cover. I seem to get lost and end up dragging off the pad since it feels the same as the surrounding area and it's easy to miss the little groove surrounding it. I also preferred the "click" action of the original touchpad. Finally, the Purple color shows dirt and stuff more than the black did but that would be the same if the original came in different colors.

If I could wave my magic wand, I'd have a black type 2 cover with the touch pad from the type 1. I'd also like the volume keys back and put the backlight control somewhere else like FN + < and FN + >. Also, there should have been an integrated elastic pen loop along the left side of the keyboard.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ironically the reason for the change to the Touchpad on Type 2 was the higher satisfaction with the Touchpad on the Touch Cover Gen 1 over Type Cover Gen 1.

Omni

I got mine, but it doesn't work properly. Surface Pro won't recognize it fully, so i can't adjust the scroll speed and it keeps flipping the direction. Also scrolling is absolutely not right. Track pad won't recoginze it either. drag and drop doesn't work either. Been online with 2 surface reps. Theres nothing wrong with my keyboard on a Surface 2 or Surface Pro 2, but with me.... It just doesn't work. I can't even return it, so i don't know what to do.

I feel that at a 135 euros, it should work out of the box as they promise.

Tried everything with drivers and such, even re-installed the whole machine to my annoyance. I'm so bothered by this. None of the keyboards have worked right, had them all.

Can anyone help????? Does anyone have settings for their type cover 2 on SP.

PS: With a Surface Pro.

Its your Surface not the Type cover. I had this problem and a reinstall fixed it.

CrippsCorner

I got a Purple Type 2 to replace my Type 1 for Christmas. I have mixed feelings. I love the backlighting, feel of the keys, and material around the palm rests that doesn't show fingerprints. What I don't like is the touchpad being the same material as the rest of the cover. I seem to get lost and end up dragging off the pad since it feels the same as the surrounding area and it's easy to miss the little groove surrounding it. I also preferred the "click" action of the original touchpad. Finally, the Purple color shows dirt and stuff more than the black did but that would be the same if the original came in different colors.

If I could wave my magic wand, I'd have a black type 2 cover with the touch pad from the type 1. I'd also like the volume keys back and put the backlight control somewhere else like FN + < and FN + >. Also, there should have been an integrated elastic pen loop along the left side of the keyboard.

Overall though
smile.png
if you had to choose... Type Cover 1 or 2!?

gangolfus

I find it ironic that they made the keyboard easier to use in the dark while simultaneously making the touchpad harder to use in the dark.

rtibbitts

Agree that the mousepad sucks. Much more in the dark than light but pretty much it sucks all the time. For now MS needs to seriously work on the mouse driver to make the existing mousepad semi-functional (please add a glide feature) then back to the drawing board for type cover 3 (though I do love the typing experience itself).

kodos

Agree that the mousepad sucks. Much more in the dark than light but pretty much it sucks all the time. For now MS needs to seriously work on the mouse driver to make the existing mousepad semi-functional (please add a glide feature) then back to the drawing board for type cover 3 (though I do love the typing experience itself).

Agree - the trackpad is pretty wretched, and brings the entire user experience to a low point in using my Surface. If they could also increase the rigidity on the cover that'd be a huge help when using it on your lap.

But for typing, I really like it - certainly a far improvement over my iPad, even if it doesn't hit the same mark as my MacBook Pro (which I would never expect).

rtibbitts

Yeah I love being at a meeting where iPads are all around me and I watch the iSheep try and type their notes using the onscreen keyboard. Too funny.