What's new

got the march FW update twice - how come?

reach

Hi there,
I havent used my SP2 in a while because Im just waiting for somebody to buy it. Now Im using it and it just installed again the March FW update. I see it clearly in the history.
When I recently had the MS support on the phone they told me that the March update is the best and greatest ever. So great that they delivered it twice??
What surprises me most is that they suddenly change things during the month. They didnt even do this after the Jan mess.

Any idea?
Regards,
reach

GoodBytes

Are you sure it's the March firmware update, and not System hardware update?

Firmware update will show back if you changed drivers of the device. In addition, despite Windows Update saying it has been successfully installed, it will show up if it didn't install completely. Such situation can happen if you Surface Pro 2 was not plugged in, and fully charged with the keyboard connected.

System Hardware update, is unknown. There are no details provided. It is guessed to be a patch or driver update for the device for the date indicated (March 11 for example). This one can show up multiple times.

OP
R

reach

Yes, it was System Hardware, you're right. Thx!
But it still makes me wonder, since when MS delivers patches during the month, not only on patch Tuesday. Any idea?

GoodBytes

No idea. My guess is that Tuesday update is a Windows thing. This is a Surface thing, so they can release it when ever they feel like it.
I don't know why the date never changes and matches the current released firmware. And I don't know why there is no description of any kind on it.
Those are mysteries that only Microsoft knows.

OP
R

reach

I have to correct my previous statement - it was definitely the Firmware:
"Systemfirmwareupdate - 11.03.2014"
Successfully installed on 17.04.2014 and
Successfully installed on 09.04.2014

In between there are 9 other updates, so you don't see them on the same screen, else I'd attach a screenshot.
Very strange...